HOME ~ Contact us
Edward Baker and Joan Ellen Patterson
Born (about 1600-S1)(about 1610-S6)(about 1614-S8)(about 1617-S5)(before 1620-S7) at Lavenham, Suffolk, England.
He possibly came to New England in the Winthrop fleet in 1630. (S1).
He married Jane/Joan (about 1637-S1)(before 1642-S7), probably at Lynn, Massachusetts.
He was admitted a freeman at Lynn, Massachusetts on 14 March 1638.
He was a farmer, and lived on the south side of Baker's Hill, in Saugus.
He resided at Northampton, Massachusetts from 1657 or 1658, and had grants of land there, but returned to Lynn before his death. His sons Joseph and Timothy remained at Northampton.
His will was dated 16 October 1685, and having previously provided for some of his children by deed, not all of them are named in it. He exhorts his family to live peaceable and pious lives, and desires for himself a decent funeral, suitable to his rank and quality while living.
He died on 16 March 1687 at Lynn, Essex County, Massachusetts.
He was buried on 16 March 1687. (S7)
Joan Ellen Patterson. (Jane-S4,S5,S7)(Joan-S1,S5,S7)(Jean). (Joan Ellen Patterson-S9).
Born about 1618. (S5).
She married Edward BAKER about 1637, probably at Lynn, Massachusetts.
She died on 9 April 1693 at Lynn, Essex County, Massachusetts.
CHILDREN of Edward Baker and Jon Ellen Patterson:
- Hannah BAKER. Born about 1638, Lynn, Massachusetts. She died in January 1717 at Bristol, Rhode Island. Married Thomas LEWIS.
- Joseph BAKER. [Familytree]. Born (about 1640-S2) in (Northampton, Hampshire County-?)(Lynn-S1), Massachusetts. He married Ruth HOLTON on (2-S1)(5-S?) FEB 1662. He died 29 OCT (1665)(1675-S1) at Northampton, Massachusetts. (Name is misprinted as Batter in Geneal. Reg. IX. 88).
- Mary BAKER. Born 1 APR 1642 at Lynn, MA. She died 1 (APR-S7)(Dec) 1719. Lived at Milton, MA. She married 7 (Apr)(NOV-S7) 1662 Deacon George SUMNER (b. about 1634; d. Dec. 11, 1715) of Dorchester, son of William SUMNER and Mary WEST. Children: Mary married Joseph SWINNERTON; George married Ann TUCKER; Samuel; William; Ebenezer married Silence; Edward married Elizabeth CLAPP; Joseph; and Benjamin married Elizabeth BADCOCK.
- John BAKER. Born about 1645, Lynn, MA. Married Dec. 17, 1668 Abigail FISHER (b. 2 AUG 1646; d. Jan. 13, 1723), daughter of Capt. Daniel FISHER of Dedham, Massachusetts. They lived at Dedham, Massachusetts. Children: Samuel married Mary ASPINWALL; Abigail married Nathaniel KINGSBURY; John married Sarah WHITING; Mary died in infancy; Sarah married James TUCKER; Mary married Joseph DAMON; Rev. Daniel married first Mary QUINCY, and second Mrs. Rebecca SMITH; and Joseph married Hannah JONES. John died Sep. 15, 1719, probably at Dedham, MA.
- (LT) Timothy BAKER. Born about 1647 at Lynn, Massachusetts. Of Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, where he became a prominent citizen. Married first Jan. 16 or 26, 1672 Grace MARSH (d. May 31, 1676), daughter of John MARSH and granddaughter of John WEBSTER, Governor of CT. He married (2) Sarah HOLLISTER (d. Dec. 8, 1691), daughter of John and widow of Rev. Hope ATHERTON of Hatfield, MA. This marriage was after 31 MAY 1676. Children of Timothy and Grace: Grace; and Timothy died young. Children of Timothy and Sarah: John married Rebecca CLARK; Thomas married Christine OTIS, widow of Mr. LeBEAU of Canada; and Edward married Hannah MUNN. Timothy died 30 AUG 1729 at Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts. (Name is misprinted as Batter in Geneal. Reg. IX. 88).
- Thomas BAKER. Born about 1653, Lynn, Massachusetts. He died after 1730. Served in King Philip's War. Married Jul. 10, 1689, Lynn, MA Mary LEWIS (b. Feb. 24, 1665), daughter of John LEWIS and Hannah MARSHFIELD. Children: two daughters.
- Edward BAKER. Born perhaps 1655, Lynn, MA. He married 7 APR (1675-S7)(1685) Mary MARSHALL, daughter of Capt. John MARSHALL. Children: Mary; Edward; Sarah died in infancy; Sarah; Rebecca; Edward died in infancy; Edward; Ruth died in infancy; Ruth; Elizabeth died young; Joseph; and Marshall.
- Jonathan - b. Feb. 20, 1657.
- [S1]. BAKER. From the files of Stephen M. Lawson. http://kinnexions.com/smlawson/baker.htm.
- [S2]. http://www.angelfire.com/fl/Sumter/pafg190.htm.
- [S3]. http://kinnexions.com/smlawson/lewise.htm.
- [S4]. A Genealogical Dictionary of The First Settlers of New England, Before 1692. Volume #1, Pgs 92 – 101. Badcock – Baker. By James Savage. http://www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/newengland/savage/bk1/92-101.htm.
- [S5]. Descendants of Edward Baker of Northampton, MA. http://members.frys.com/~parsons/d0016/g0000097.html.
- [S6]. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~negenealogy/Baker-E.htm
- [S7]. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~batemanp/pilgrims/test0094.htm. Quotes from Alonzo and Newhall, James R Lewis, A history of Lynn, Massachusetts, in Essex County, to include Lynnfield, Saugus, Swampscot and Nahant in no series (Boston: John L. Shorely, 1865).
- [S8]. http://baileysuttongenpages.homestead.com/files/gp700.html.
- [S9]. Family Files. Ancestry.com
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Edward Baker and Joan Ellen Patterson
Joseph Baker and Ruth Holton
Ruth Baker and Ebenezer Alvord
Joseph Alvord, Sr. and Clemence Wright
Joseph Alvord and Submit Chapin
Thaddeus Alvord and Sally Wellington
Charlotte Alvord and Peter Mack Elliott
James Newberry Morris and Harriett Louisa Elliott
Eli Ray Morris and Tina Matilda Kunzler
LeGrand Elliott Morris and Dorothea Berta Ernestine Kersten
Rodney Allen Morris and Deborah Lee Handy