HOME ~ Contact us
Robert BARNARD and Joanna HARVEY
Born about 1617; son of Thomas Barnard and Anne Cooke.
Robert was christened on 19 October 1617 at Church of England Parish Church, Lowestoft, Suffolk, England. (S2).
He married Joanna HARVEY about 1641. (S2).
There is a record of Robert Barnard and Jone Harvey being married on 7 May 1642 in the Lincolnshire Register of Marriages. (S6). It is thought that this is probably their correct marriage record.
He is said to have arrived in New England about 1642 to 1644. (S5).
In Andover, he had a house and lot near Mr. Simon Bradstreet's, as one of the first settlers; and he was one of the founders of the church there in 1645. (S7).
In September 1644 and attempt was made to form a church at Andover, the meeting being held and Rowley, as there were not sufficient accomodations at Andover, but on account of a technicality the organization was not effected until October 1645. The names of the first ten members, freeholders (as required by law to constitute a church), were John Woodbridge (teacher), John Osgood, Robert Barnard, John Frye, Nicholas Holt, Richard Barker, Joseph Parker, Nathan Parker, Richard Blake, Edmund Falulker; given in the order of their signing. (S4).
In October 1641, William, Earl of Sterling, deeded the island of Nantucket to Thomas Mayhew of Watertown, Massachusetts Bay. In 1659 Mayhew sold an interest in the island to nine other purchasers, reserving 1/10th of an interest for himself, “for the sum of thirty pounds…and also two beaver hats, one for myself, and one for my wife.” Each of the ten original owners was allowed to invite one partner. Thomas Barnard was one of the original 10 purchasers, and he brought in his brother, Robert Barnard as a partner. (S3).
He moved to Nantucket about 1663. (S7).
He died in 1682 at Nantucket, Massachusetts. (S2).
Administration of the estate of "Robert Barnard, Sr.", late of Andover, yeoman, dec'd, intestate, was granted to his grandson, Robert Barnard on Feb. 1, 1714-5. Stephen Barnard signed a statement that he was incapable of acting, by reason of age, and asking that his son Robert be appointed. Robert Sr. had been dead for more than 30 yrs. at this time. The inventory of May 13, 1716, contained only a four acre division of land in Andover. (S7).
Joanna (Harvey?). (Joanne-S10)(Harvey-S9,S10)(Kingman?-S10).
She married Robert BARNARD.
Joanna died March 31, 1705. (S7).
CHILDREN of Robert BARNARD and Joanna HARVEY:
- Hannah BARNARD. She married John STEVENS on 13 June 1662 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. She died on 13 March 1674 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- John Barnard. Born 2 March 1642-1643. He married Feb. 25, 1668-9, Bethia, daughter of Peter Folger, resident of Nantucket. They were drowned on 6 June 1669.
- Stephen Barnard. Born about 1649; m. May 1, 1671, Rebecca How in Andover. He died in 1722. He had four sons.
- Mary Barnard. Born 8 April 1658. (S7). She married her cousin Nathaniel Barnard about 1666.
- [S1]. Thomas Barnard. Geni. https://www.geni.com/people/Thomas-Barnard/6000000002603561851 QUOTES as sources: Hampton Quarterly Court Records, vol. 2, page 76.
- [S2]. Thomas Barnard Ancestry, Eleanor Morse, and Nantucket Connections: http://genforum.genealogy.com/barnard/messages/2486.html. from Ancestry.com.
- [S3]. Nantucket Beginnings. Posted 05 Mar 2017 by carla stanford mitchell to Ancestry.com.
- [S4]. Colonial Families of the USA, 1607-1775 Colonial Families of the United States of America, Volume VII. Ancestry.com
- [S5]. U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s. Ancestry.com
- [S6]. Lincolnshire, England, Extracted Church of England Parish Records. Ancestry.com.
- [S7]. Robert Barnard. Find A Grave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/74034647.
- [S8]. North America, Family Histories, 1500-2000. History of the town of Marlborough, Middlesex county, Massachusetts, from its first settlement. Ancestry.com.
- [S9]. Massachusetts, Compiled Birth, Marriage, and Death Records, 1700-1850. Ancestry.com
- [S10]. New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Ancestry.com
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Robert Barnard and Joanna Harvey
Hannah Barnard and John Stevens
John Stevens and Ruth Poore
Hannah Stevens and Samuel Lovejoy
Deborah Lovejoy and John Phelps
Samuel Phelps and Margaret Nevins
Ebenezer Ferrin and Lydia Phelps
Samuel Ferrin and Sally Clotilda Powell
Lydia Powell Ferrin and George William Washington Williams
George William Williams and Harriett Thurston
Minnie Williams and Clive Vernon Tenney
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris