HOME ~ Contact us
Thomas Basset and Alice de Dunstanville
(Judge) Thomas Basset. Lord of Drayton. [Our Basset Ancestors], [Familytree].
Born (in 1125-S2,S3)(about 1130), of Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England; son of Gilbert Basset and Edith de Quilly. (S1,S3,S4).
He married Alice de Dunstanville about 1154 in Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England. (S3,S4,S5).
He received a grant of the lordship of Hedendon, Oxfordshire, for services in war, and served as sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1163 to 1164. (S1).
In 1167-1168 he was an itinerant justice for Essex and Hertfordshire. In 1169 he appears at the Exchequer. (S1).
In 1175 he was again an itinerant justice (Rog. Hov. ii. 90) and was in close attendance on the court, as he continued to be until 1181, and was specially named as a justice itinerant on one of the new circuits on 10 April 1179. (S1).
He is last mentioned in August 1181, and at the close of 1182 he had been succeeded b y his son Gilbert. (S1).
He died (about 1181)(about 1182-S1)(in 1182-S3) at Wallingford, South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England; and was buried in Saint Peter's Churchyard in Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England. (S3).
Alice de Dunstanville. (Adelize). [Familytree].
Born in (1134)(1138) at Castle Combe, Wiltshire, England; daughter of Alan de Dunstanville and Adeliza Warren. (S4,S5).
She died (in 1210-S4)(in or after 1210-S5) at Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England; and was buried in Saint Peter's Churchyard in Wallingford, Oxfordshire, England. (S4,S5).
CHILDREN of Thomas Basset and Alice de Dunstanville:
- Gilbert Basset . [Familytree]. Born in 1154-1155 in Oxfordshire, England. He married Egelina de Courtenay.
- Thomas Basset. (S5).
- Alan Basset. (S5,s6). of Headington, Oxfordshire. In like favour with Richard I and with John, he received from the former the lordships of Woking and Mapledurwell, and from the latter those of Wycombe and Berewick. With his brothers Gilbert and Thomas he accompanied John to Northampton, when the king of Scots did his homage (22 November 1200), which he tested, and continued throughout John's reign in close attendance on the court, accompanying the king to Ireland in 1210 and to Runnymede (15 June 1215), his name, with that of his brother Thomas, appearing in Magna Carta among those of the king's counsellors.
At the accession of Henry III he was one of the witnesses to his re-issue of the charter (11 November 1216), and on the royalist reaction his loyalty was rewarded by his being occasionally employed in the Curia Regis and sent to France on a political mission in 1219–20. He also acted as sheriff of Rutland from 1217 to 1229. Dying in 1232-3 he left three sons: Gilbert, his heir; Fulk, afterwards bishop of London; and Philip, afterwards Justiciar of England. He died in 1232 or 1233. (S6).
- [S1]. Dictionary of National Biography, Volumes 1-20, 22. Ancestry.com
- [S2]. UK and Ireland, Find A Grave Index, 1300s-Current. Ancestry.com.
- [S3]. Judge Thomas “Lord of Drayton” Basset. Find A Grave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/103035839
- [S4]. Alice (Adelize) Dunstanville Basset. Find A Grave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/103035985/alice_adelize_-basset.
- [S5]. Adeliza Basset. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adeliza_Basset
- [S6]. Alan Basset. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Basset
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Thomas Basset and Alice de Dunstanville
Gilbert Basset and Egelina de Courtenay
Richard de Camville and Eusatcia Basset
William II Longspee and Idonie de Camville.
Ela Longspee and James de Audley.
Hugh de Audley and Isolde de Mortimer.
Hugh de Audley md Margaret de Clare.
Margaret de Audley. md Ralph de Stafford.
Hugh Stafford. md Philippa de Beauchamp.
Edmund Stafford. md Anne of Gloucester.
Humphrey Stafford. md Anne Neville.
Margaret Stafford md Robert Dunham.
John Dunham md Elizabeth Bowett.
John Dunham II md Jean Thorland.
John Dunham III md Benedict Folgamsee.
Ralph Dunham. He married Elizabeth Wentworth.
Thomas Dunham. He married Jane Bromley.
John Dunham Sr.. He married Susanna Kenney/Keno.
John Dunham Jr.. He married Mary.
Mary Dunham. She married James Hamblin.
Elkenah Hamblin. He married Abigail Hamblin.
Sylvanus Hamblin. He married Dorcas Fish.
Barnabus Hamblin. He married Mary Bassett.
Isaiah Hamblin. He married Daphne Haynes.
Jacob Vernon Hamblin md Sarah Priscilla Leavitt.
Ella Ann Hamblin md Warren Moroni Tenney. Clive Vernon Tenney and Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris