HOME ~ Contact us
William BASSET, Sheriff of Sapcote
William BASSET. Sheriff of Sapcote. [Our Basset Ancestors], [Familytree].
There is some confusion on the family relationship of William Basset.
It is claimed that William was the son of Ralph Basset and (Alice?) (S1), but the dating makes this improbable.
Other sources claim that William, Sheriff of Sapcote, was the son of Richard Basset and Matilda de Ridel. (S2,S3,S4,S5,S7,S8).
William, as the son of Richard Basset and Matilda Ridel:
William BASSET. Born (about 1134-S4,S7)(in 1134-S5), in Colston, Nottinghamshire, England. (S4).
He received Sapcoate. (S4).
William, the youngest of the three grandsons of Henry I.'s Justiciary, and the ancestor of the Bassets of Sapcote, served as Sheriff of Warwick and Leicestershire for eight consecutive years in the reign of Henry II, and was afterwards one of the Justices Itinerant of Yorkshire. (S6).
In 1159 he served as under-sheriff to his brother Ralph. In 1163-1164 William served as Sheriff alone. He continued in office until 1170. William served as Sheriff of Warwick and Leicestershire for eight consecutive years in the reign of Henry II, and was afterwards one of the Justices Itinerant of Yorkshire. He served as a justice on eyres (a circuit traveled by an itinerant justice), as well as in the curia regis from 1168 to 1183. In 1177 he was appointed Sheriff of Lincolnshire and continued to hold that office until 1185. (S4,S5).
Basset's legal opinions are cited in the Tractatus de legibus et consuetudinibus regni Anglie, or Glanvill, a treatise on legal procedures in England. (S4).
He gave lands to Launde Priory, which had been founded by his parents. (S4).
Basset held lands at Sapcote, in Leicestershire, besides other lands in Buckinghamshire and Warwickshire. Besides his judicial functions, he also served in the Exchequer, with his last appearance there being on 31 May 1185. (S4).
He is therefore said to have died in 1185, or shortly thereafter. (S3,S5,S7).
CHILDREN of William BASSET:
- Simon BASSET. [Familytree]. Born (about 1160-S7)(about 1165)(in 1183-S5) in Sapcote.(S7). He married Elizabeth AVENAL. (S8). He died before 1231. (S7).
- Ralph Bassett (I), of Cheadle. [Familytree]. Born (about 1169-S7)(about 1185-S4,S5). He died after 1253. (S4,S5).
- [S1]. Descendants of Thurstine, the Norman, of Drayton STS. Bassett Families, 1086 - 1877. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/ODTs/BASSETT.shtml#BASS256.
- [S2]. William Basset. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Basset.
- [S3]. Basset, William. Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. y Ralph V. Turner. http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-1649;jsessionid=E0C3E0C438FEBDFF347D809B819F4378.
- [S4]. William Basset. Revolvy. https://www.revolvy.com/page/William-Basset
- [S5]. William Bassett, of Sapcote. Bassett Family Association. http://www.bassettbranches.org/tng/getperson.php?personID=I3023&tree=33B. QUOTES as sources:
- GEDCOM file. Submitted by Pat Newton, email@example.com. imported on 4 May 2009.
- Jim Weber.
- Phil Bassett.
- The William Salt Archaeological Collections for a History of Staffordshire Vol III ( 1882) which includes the Visitation of Staffordshire in 1583.
- [S6]. The Battle Abbey Roll. Vol. I. by The Duchess of Cleveland. Prepared by Michael A. Linton. http://1066.co.nz/Mosaic%20DVD/library/Battle%20Roll/Basset.html
- [S7]. William Sheriff of Leicestershire BASSET. https://wc.rootsweb.com/trees/175105/I41757/williamsheriffofleicestershire-basset/individual
- [S8]. Bassetts of Sapcote and Che(a)dle. https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/bassett/2521/. QUOTES as source: Nichols, "The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester", 1811.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
William Basset, Sheriff of Sapcote
Simon Basset and Elizabeth Avenal Ralph Basset (I), of Cheadle, Staffordshire
Ralph Basset and Millicent of Chaucombe Ralph Basset (II), of Cheadle, Staffordshire
Simon Basset John Basset, of Cheadle, Staffordshire
Ralph Basset and Elizabeth Coleville John Basset and Joan Brailsford
Simon Basset and Isabel Boteler Thomas Basset and Margaret Meringe
Ralph Basset and Sibyl Astley Joan Basset and Ralph Shirley
Alice Basset and Robert Moton Beatrice Shirley and John Brome
William Moton and Agnes Isabell Brome and Robert John Denton
(Sir) Robert Moton, of Peckleton Alice Denton and Nicholas Purefoy
Maud Moton and John Gregory Edward Purefoy and Alice Fettiplace
Nicholas Gregory Mary Purefoy and Thomas Thorne
Adam Gregory and Ada Ormeston Susanna Thorne and (Cpt) Roger Dudley
William Gregory and Dorothy Parre Thomas Dudley and Dorothy Yorke
Hugo Gregory and Maria Samuel Dudley and Elizabeth Smith
Thomas Gregory and Dorothy Beeston Dorothy Dudley and Moses Leavitt
John Gregory and Alice Alton Joseph Leavitt and Mary Wadleigh
Henry Gregory and Mary (Goody?) Nathaniel Leavitt and Lydia Sanborn
John Gregory and Sarah St John Jeremiah Leavitt and Sarah Shannon
Phoebe Gregory and John Benedict Jeremiah Leavitt and Sarah Sturdevant
James Benedict and Sarah Hyatt Sarah Priscilla Leavitt and Jacob Vernon Hamblin
(Elder) James Benedict and Mary Blackman Ella Ann Hamblin and Warren Moroni Tenney
Jemima Benedict and John Newberry Clive Vernon Tenney and Minnie Williams
James Abraham Newberry and Mary Smith Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Hannah Maria Newberry and George Morris |
James Newberry Morris and Harriett Louisa Elliott |
Tina Matilda Kunzler and Eli Ray Morris |
LeGrand Elliott Morris and Dorothea Berta Ernestina Kersten |
Rodney Allen Morris ---- and ---- Deborah Lee Handy