HOME ~ Contact us

George Burkett Jr. and Sarah Jane Smith

George BURKETT Jr. [Ancestors].
Born 18 October 1788 at Bedford, Bedford County, Pennsylvania; son of George BURKETT, Sr. and Catherine SWOVELIN.

He married (1) Sarah Jane SMITH (SCHMIDT) in 1810.
Marriage: 16 January 1810 in Lancaster, Fairfield Co, Ohio.(S7).

The following account of his life, when given in italics, was written at his dictation:

I was born Oct. 18, 1788, in Bedford, Bedford Co., Pennsylvania, U.S.A. My Father, George Burkett, and my Mother, Catherine Swovelin, emigrated from Germany to the U.S. during the Revolutionary War of 1776 and settled in Pennsylvania.

I was married to Sarah Smith in 1810 and had by her six children, three of whom joined the church in Indiana and three in Jackson Co., Missouri. My wife and I joined the church in 1831 in Randolph Co., Indiana.

On the first of May 1832, I started according to the commandments for Jackson Co., Missouri. Was ordained an Elder under the hands of Zebedee Coltrin and Levi w. Handcock, and was appointed to take charge of a company, who with myself arrived in Jackson Co., in Aug. of the same year. I then turned out all my property to Bishop Partirdge, who assigned me my inheritance and requested me to take charge of my property till the difficulties then surrounding the Saints should pass over.

I was driven out of Jackson Co., in Nov. 1833 and located in Clay Co. In Jun 1834 Zion's Camp came to my house, and there dispersed.

Zionís Camp concluded their journey on 23 June 1834 at his farm on Rush Creek in Clay County, Missouri.

The camp ... marched toward Liberty on the 23d, taking a circuitous route around the head of the Fishing River to avoid the deep water. When within five or six miles of Liberty they were met by General Atchison and other friends and warned against entering Clay County as per their agreement with Clay County citizens. So the camp turned to the left, crossed the prairie to A. S. Gilbert's residence, and camped on the bank of Rush Creek in "Brother Burket's" (sometimes given as Burghart's) field. (S9).

Rush Creek heads [it's head is] about two miles northwest of Liberty and empties into the Missouri River near Missouri City, seven miles southeast of Liberty. (S9).

The Burket farm was about 2 and a half miles southeast of Liberty.

Here cholera broke out the night of the 24th and thirteen in all died and were buried one-half mile from the camp by their brethren on the bank of a small stream which empties into Rush Creek. Sometimes the men in the very act of performing last rites over their dead brethren would be stricken themselves. The burials were, of necessity, hasty and without coffins, the bodies simply wrapped in blankets and carried on a horse-sled to their last resting place. (S9).

The same night the camp arrived, seventeen of the brethren were seized with cholera and five died that night and the next morning were buried in an adjoining field.

Other sources say that about 68 people were afflicted, and of that number 13 men and one woman died of the cholera.

Zionís Camp apparently stayed at his farm until they were disbanded on 30 June 1834, and even afterwards until 2 July 1834 while their affairs were settled and their supplies were dispersed to the Saints in the surrounding area.

George continues: I was through all the troubles in Jackson Co., Clay Co., Davis Co., and Far West Co., where I stood true to my brethren and the work of God. When the Prophet Joseph and his brethren were in Liberty jail in Clay Co., he wrote a letter to me requesting me that I should bring a man and sign a habeas corpus that their lives might be saved, for he said their lives were in danger. I complied with his request and entered into bonds to release Sidney Rigdon from jail, and would cheerfully have laid down my life to save their lives.

In 1836 I was called by Joseph Smith in connection with others and preached the gospel in Illinois, baptizing a goodly number and regulating the affairs of the Church in that state. Then continued my journey to Kirtland, where I received my washings and anointings and returned back to Missouri.

[Here is his missionary diary. I have used brackets for my own notes and comments. I have not attempted to keep the original spelling since I did not have access to the original diary, and at times I was not certain whether or not the variations were due to the original or to the copy. I have attempted to trace his route on current maps and coordinate original spellings with modern. Where I have not been certain, I have given the probable location with a question mark. I have also taken the liberty to arrange items placed in the front and back of the diary into their order chronologically. Rod Morris]


(In the first of the diary is contained a copy of section 101 of the Doctrine and Covenants. I omit it here. M.L.C.)

September 28, 1835
Left home at dark and came to Williams landing in the morning. Went on board the "Diana". We had bad luck, the river was low and we ran aground very often that Brother Orburn and I left the boat and went land below Luton Isles and we soon found believers on shore. We talked to a man that we met on the road and he pressed us to turn back to his house and hold a meeting, but the proprietor of the town forbid 'em, said the Mormons should not preach there. We stayed with the man all night. He treated us well, he believed the work. He charged us nothing. This mans name is Hanney. This is the 12th October.

13th Oct.
We this morning pursued our journey. We came about 4 miles where we came to a little town called Mosunition (?). As we were passing along the man of the hour and Proprietor of the place called to me and asked me if I was traveling. I replied that I was, he then asked me to what parts I was going to. I replied that I was going to call on all people where I went to repent for that mission. Well, he said, that is a good calling. Said he, "Stop and take breakfast with me." I thanked him. Said he, "You have not had breakfast yet?" He had a good meal set for himself and family. He then called on me to ask God to bless the food, we were about to partake. I then talked with them 2 hours. We then pursued our journey. He bid us God speed. Thank God there is yet open hearted people. The Lord provides for his Saints. Sometimes they would charge us and sometimes they would not. We came to Olton [prob West Alton] on the Mississippi. As I was passing by the steam mill a man called to me on the mill to stop. I turned around to see who it was that spoke. To my astonishment it was John Balis. I then crossed the river and came to the Nelson Church. I found them all well but some of them was low in spirit. I held a meeting with them. I administered to the sacrament to them and they are most strengthened.

October 15, 1835.
I wrote my first letter 18th 1835. I went with Brother Comer to an appointment in Rothen Porava and preached to about 60 people. They paid good attention. No contradiction. I had during their meeting great liberty. I spoke about one hour and a half. Brother Comer followed me in order. The people give good attention - no interruption. I held a meeting at Brother Nelsons the same evening, principally for the use of the church.

20th October.
I held a meeting at Brother Nelsons. I preached on the Destruction of Babylon and the Second Coming of Christ. After meeting I opened the door to receive members into baptism. Two came forward and gave their hands who the next day on the 21st was buried with Christ in Baptism whose names are as follows: William Griffith and his wife Winefort Griffith. The next Sunday following, Greer Griffith and Thomas Nelson. I preached 5 times since I have been here and ordained one teacher Sept 26, 1835 and I held a meeting at Brother Nelson's on the first day of November 1835 and spoke of the Literal fulfillment of John's Revelation. I laid hands on four children and blest them in the name of the Lord. I wrote my second to my wife the 6th day of November 1835. Sunday the 8th I preached at Mr. Gardnere in Mecupen (Prob. Macon) [Macon is scratched out and Macoupin written in pen] County near Blisses. Returned to Brother Nelsons and then started to Bluffdail with Brother Coombe to an appointment. But the Brethren had not made my appointment for us. We then journeyed towards the East to Brother Myicks. They received us kindly. Here we preached to a few individuals at Mister Louibam (?) on the 13th of November 1835.

We continued at Brother Myrvics till Sunday. We preached at Mister Lersves (?). Here we found some opposition by Campbellites, but they were soon confounded in their own words. Brother Combs went home next day and I stayed at Brother Myorics till he should return to me again, but did not return to me again. I returned from Green County to Madison County and preached twice at Brother Lindles Tallman's mill 24th and 29th of November and on the 30 do. [Nov ?] at Brown's farm (?) at Jesse Wards.

On the 28th of September [Nov ?] 1835 held a conference at William Griffiths to try disorderly members and two were excluded from the Church.

On the First day of Dec. 1835 I returned to Wood River again.

2nd. Today I held a meeting at night at Brother Griffiths at Wood River Church.

December, Friday the 2nd, 1835.
I took my leave of the brethren at Woodriver Church, Madison County to Sinclare [St. Clair] County. I journeyed all day by myself. I stayed all night in the musicun (?) Bottom on the Mississippi River at one Mister Steel's 6 miles above St. Louis on the River. There is some very good land in this Amarican [American?] Bottom. I paid Mister Steely 50 cents for my stay over night. Brother Earle overtook me, here. We journeyed together to our appointment. We past on by St. Louis and some french towns which are chiefly inhabited with Roman Catholics. At length we came to where the road came to the Bluff of the hill country. Here is a spring which proceeds from under a cleft of rocks almost perpendicular, about 2 hundred feet of upwards in height. This spring of which I have spoken ebbs and flows every 24 hours and on the top of this Bluff is a very handsome place and on this spot is a mount about twenty feet high at this time and about forty feet in length and about 25 in breadth at the bottom and about ten or twelve feet across the top from which a man can see a vast distance every way. There is a very handsome way to go up on this tower and there is a cave at the very bottom of this hill near the end of it. The mouth of the cave is a round hole that a man can only creep in. There has no one as yet crept to the further end of it and from the foot of the hill S.E. and S.W. and north W.St., yea, a man may look and behold the face of a large horizon in which he may count ten or twelve large mounds which have been thrown up by the Nephites or Jaredites. This is one, I think, of the large cities of rather one of the places where there has been a large city sunk in the time of the great destructions upon this land at the coming of or rather at the Crucifixion of Christ before his coming or appearing to the Nephites on this land. When I beheld the beautiful situation, I could not constrain myself from expressing gratitude and thanks to my God that I ever was permitted to see those pleasant places on which the ancients offered up praise to the Most High God. No doubt in my mind but they offered up many sacrifices on this tower of which I have spoken. When I contemplate on the benefits we that live in this generation discern from the words of these ancients, I am lost in wonder and amazement at the goodness of God in preserving the words of this people and bring them forth in these last days to us that we might carry them again to the Remnant of their seed that they may know of them, their fathers.

Dec. 3, 1835
I wrote my first letter to Kirtland to Brother John Whitmore.

On the 5th day of December Started for Sinkcleare (St. Clair) County with Brother Combs in company and we held a meeting near Bellville on Sunday 6th of December 1835. We had much liberty of spirit there to preach to the people. We had a large congregation. The people were kind here. They invited us home with them after meeting. some of the leading characters came to us and talked with us very friendly and said they never had heard any of the Mormons preach before but that there was some things in our doctrine that they could not comprehend, but confessed that we had preached the Apostolic doctrine. They told us at any time we came that way we or any of the Elders came through, their houses were free and their door open so to hold meetings. A Mister Moze, an influential character in that place, give a very pressing invitation to call on him. His house was open. He was pleased with our doctrine, give us his hand in token of friendship and said he could bid us God speed. We then started on our journey. Brother Combs went home and I went towards the East. I had not went but few rods till I fell in with a gentleman and his wife who invited me home with them. They lived close on the road that I had to go. I went home with them and stayed all night with them. We had much conversation about the work of God in these last days. He said to me in the morning if I would stay till he would go to his brother's he would see if his brother would consent to have a meeting appointed at his house the next Sunday. His brother came over immediately to see me and talk with me and told me his house was open for me to hold a meeting. I appointed a meeting at his house. The gentleman's name is Primm. I left the Book of Mormon with him. I then took my journey to the Church at Lebanon. I stayed with them. I came to the church at Lebanon on Monday the 7th of December 1835 and preached twice on Saturday the 12th 1835. I returned back again to my appointment near Bellville to Mister Primm. On Sunday I preached at this place to a small congregation of people. But they were much pleased with the doctrine but none of them would obey the truth. I left them on Monday and returned to the church again at Lebanon. Here I got some clothes made. I have at this time four appointments.

15th November [December ?] 1835
I am working for Brother Barton at this time. I preached at Brother Asse Barton's on Wednesday 16th at night and continued to work until Friday the 18th. I then proceeded to an appointment about 8 miles from Brother Barton's. I filled my appointment at Williams' on Glass Prairie on Friday evening the 18th October. On my way to the above appointment I came to a mount in the Glass Prairie about 2 hundred feet in length at the bottom. The length and breadth are alike, the height is about 25 feet. At this time it is perfectly level on the top, only at each corner there is a high pillar built up 3 feet high above the level of the balance of the top. There are 4 other small mounts round about this big one. About 4 years ago there was a very singular man came here and dug a cave in the large mount and stayed in it by himself. He would not go to any fire to warm himself or eat anything hot. Brother Jesse Hunter talked with him and as soon as he asked him who he was or where he came from, he would tell him to go on about his business. He knew almost all the characters by heart. This mount is in Sankelin (Prob. St. Clair) County, Ill. I have since the 18th of this month preached 6 times in the region of this country. I have been much blessed with the spirit of the Lord. December 26, 1835 was the last date.

I have preached 6 times in St. Clair County and Washington County, January 6 1836.

January 7, 1836 I wrote my second letter to Kirtland.

On the 8th of January I held a conference in Clinton County in the west Branch of the Sugar Creek for the instruction of the ordained members and other business of the church, the same. I held meetings in the same branch on Sunday the 10th. I held 2 meetings in the East Branch of the Creek and on Monday following in the same branch 1 meeting. On Wednesday 13th, I preached a funeral sermon of one of the sisters, the wife of Brother Hegay. 14th held a sacrament at Brother Turnerout house. In all since the 6th January to the 14th were 5 meetings. On the 10th of January I baptize one of the East Branch of the Creek, Clinton County. I have filled my appointment. Went on silver Creek above Lebanon and also an appointment at Brother Ary Bartons the same day in the evening 17 Jan. 1836.

I am not very well at this time and decline crossing the Ocaid [This is prob. what he calls elsewhere O Caw. I believe this is called the Kaskaskia River on modern maps] River this week - 19 January.

January. Sunday the 24th 1836.
I preached to the East branch of the church at Sugar Creek and had a good meeting without the church were melted down in tears. On Monday night following I held a meeting in the same Branch and on Tuesday the 26th 1836 I held a meeting about 8 miles from here and the Shoeld, Ill. mill and the next day returned to Sugar Creek again where I expect to hold a meeting at John O Dare. I filled my appointment at O Dare on Friday and on Sunday the 30th January I Preached at Curtises mill and on February 2, 1836 I preached at William Golliers in Clinton County.

[Date ?]
Laid hands on 4 children for Edmond Nelson in Jefferson County, Ill. Hyrum Nelson give me five dollars. William Golaker gave me one dollar. Joseph Orton give me fifty cents. Brother Yonger give me 1.50 cents in cash. Absolum Siderell (?) give me one dollar to help me on my way to Kirtland. David Galaher give me 25 cash.

February 2, 1836
Brother David Gadluagh (Prob. Galagher) give me two collars to wear on my neck. Brother Reed Orton give me five dollars to send to Kirtland. 4th March Brother Absolum Free give me $3 dollars 25 cents. Brother Sidewell give me one dollar and Brother Hinsom (Hyrum) Nelson give me #3.00 and mister Wade give me a pair of sox as I was about to leave town after buying a pair of boots off him in Nashville, Ill. James Nelson give me 25 cents to pay postage of letters. Thomas Nelson give me an umbrella. Brother Tiridde give me shoe soles and Brother Combs give me a pair of mittens Brother Asse Bantom both linen and buttons for my vest. Sister Fuller give me a pair of sox and sister Deker give me a pair.

From the 2nd to the 12th of February 1836 I laid hands on and blest 10 children in the name of Christ in the Branch of the Church in Cinden (Prob. Clinton) County - called Caws Branch.

February 12th 1836.
I have been laboring in the County of Washington and preached four times and held one conference. This I have performed since the 2 day of the above date in the free settlement.

Since the 12th of February I have preached 8 times in the County of St. Clair and Washington Counties and baptized 4 in to the Church and ordained one of them an Elder whose name is Caw W. Case - February 20, 1836.

February 21.
I preached twice in the East Branch of the Sugar Creek and Tuesday 23rd I attended a meeting at brother Harris' and on the 24th I started to go across the O Caw River to an appointment that I had at Brother Middletons. I filled my appointment that I had at Brother Middletons on Wednesday evening and there was a man came there that was intoxicated and disturbed the meeting. I preached next day at Mister Waldons - 3 miles from there on Elkhorn Creek in South of the O Caw River in St. Clair County and from there went on to my appointment at Brother Frees in St. Clair County where I had appointed a two days meeting. Brother Harvis and Lennard and G.P.Dikes were with me. On the 26th February 1836 we came to Brother Alistem Frees late in the evening. It snowed all this day and we preached at 12 o'clock today and walked 10 miles. We this evening came to Brother Frees and preached at Brother Frees on Saturday and Sunday. I preached 4 times at this two day meeting. On Monday evening I was sent for to one of the Sisters to lay hands on her. Tuesday Evening I preached at Isaac Ranys. March the 1st 1836.

March 2.

I held a meeting at father Frees at night. 3rd. I held a meeting at Brother Tydwells and went home with a Brother Nelson and stayed all night and on the 4th I went to Brother James Nelsons in Washington County, Ill. and on the 5th at night I held a meeting at Horum [Hyrum ?] Nelsons and on Sunday the 7th I held 2 meetings at Thomas Nelsons and preached 2 and next morning I started in company with Brother Ekard add Brother Nelson to the East about 30 miles to his brother Edmen Nelson and stayed all night. He used me very well. I baptized him and blest 4 of his children. This is in Jefferson County. I stayed with him from Monday evening till Thursday morning. I then started to Greenville to Conference in company with Brother Ekird and Hyrum Nelson. We traveled all day. It was very cold. We stayed all night at a Methodist house and they charged us high. Next morning we started on our journey and stayed all night at another Methodist house. They also charged us high and spoke insulting, but we bore it with great fortitude. The above is an account of our journey up to the 10th of March.

On the 11th we arrived at Brother Yongers where our meeting was to be held. Here we met with a small congregation on Saturday and on Sunday we had a large congregation. I preached on Saturday and on Sunday and Sunday night we had a large congregation of people in Bond County - 6 miles east of Greenville.

March 14, 1836 I wrote my third letter.
On Monday morning I started in company with Brother Green and others to Sugar Creek. We started from Greenville about one o'clock in the afternoon. we came on very will till night. We came to a large prairie where we got bewildered in the dark. At length we came to a fence and followed on till we came to a house where one Mr. Wadkins, where we put up for the night. It was snowing very fast. In the morning we again started to Sugar Creek Church. Here Brother Harvey Green had meeting. Several of the Elders spoke during the meeting.

This morning is the 16th of March 1836.

I started for home. I came to Brother Asea Barton's where Brother Harvey Green has an appointment to preach here. I have stopped to attend the meeting. The waters are high and I have turned my course and went with Brothers Green and Allred to Brother Peas, intending to go to Brother Nelson's in Washington County. It is very bad traveling and we could not travel on account of the high waters. We stayed all night at Brother Peas.

17th March.
I have determined to go to Kirtland with the brethren and I am now prepared to go to the East. 18th we held a meeting at Brother Titrycks and on the next morning we started to cross the O Caw to Brother O. Middletons and stayed with him all night and on Sunday we pursued our journey to Brother Frees, to our appointment. We preached on Sunday and Sunday night one came for baptism. On Monday morning the ordinance was performed by H. Green. After meeting Brother Alred and myself went home with William Free and stayed all night with him, after meeting on Sunday night and returned to Absolum Frees in the morning to see his wife baptized.

March 21, 1836.
This day we went home with Absalum Tidwell and from thence we went to Hirim [Hyrum] Nelsons. We, Brother Green and myself, laid hands on three children. We then took our leave of the brethren and started to the East and took dinner with Brother Absalum Tidwells, then went to our appointment at Brother Hirim Nelson's.

March 21,22.

We pursued our journey to the east, rejoicing in the Lord. We came to Abraham Nelson's and eat dinner with him - then we pursued our journey Eastward till we came to Thomas Nelson's. We preached there at night and on the 23rd we pursued our journey to the East. We came to Nashville and from thence to Brother Edmond Nelson's. We came this day 20 miles to Jefferson County, from thence to Mount Vernon on the 24th, from thence to McCaens Burgh [McLeansboro ?] in Hamilton County. We came 33 miles and stayed at Mister Williamses. 25th we pursued our journey 4 miles to the East and came to Brother William Willas one mile east of McCains Burgh. Where we found Brethren 50 in number there, much scattered. We came here this 25th in the morning. We stayed here and held a meeting and on the 26th we pursued our journey towards Shawney town [Shawneetown]. We went 20 miles, stayed all night at Br. Williams in Gallatin County - Sunday the 27th. We started to Shawney town. This whole country is very poor land. Red soil and sassafras timber, wet and spouty (?) [spongy] land. We came to Shawny town about 2 o'clock and we got on board the steamer "Tempest" a Lia" at 10 o'clock on Sunday night 27th of March. We landed at Lueville (Kentucky) [Louisville, KY] on Tuesday 29th. Here we changed boats and went aboard the "Chief Justice" and came to Cincinnati on the 30 March about sunset and stayed all night at merchants tavern and in the morning the 31st of March 1836 and in the morning we started towards Lebanon through Reding on the turnpike and through Shermon till we came to Lebanon on Ohio 32 miles from Cincinnati; from Lebanon to Wayneville 9, thence to Hania 14 miles, from Henia [Xenia] to Newport 9 miles. Here we stayed all night at F. Beamers tavern. From Newport to Charleston 10 miles.

April 2, 1836.
We have traveled from Cincinnati towards Columbus and we had very bad road all the way through from Charleston to Columbus, 35 miles through London and Jefferson.

March [April] 3, 1836
From Columbus to John Bishops 13 miles. From Bishops to Zore 7, Suns Bary (2) miles from Suns Berry to Fredrick town [Fredericktown] 23 miles. 4 April stayed all night at the Widow Brown's tavern, 3 1/2 miles west of Fredrick town.

5 April.
Nox County [Knox], Wayne township. Here we found some brethren who are called the Wayne Church. We held a meeting in the forenoon, and one in the afternoon. We came 12 miles to the Nahichen (?) Church and held a meeting at Night.

We started again on our journey and came through Lexington and Mansfield and Orving and from thence to Brother James Durfee's - 40 miles. Here we stayed one day and two nights then we pursued our journey. On the 8th april we pursued our journey towards Kirtland through Madinay [Medina ?] 25 miles from Durfees to Madinary; from Madinary to Strongville 13 miles. Here I stayed all night. On the 9th pursued my journey to Cleveland. It rains hard this morning. I came to some Brethren this evening near a little town called Euclid. Here I stayed all night and found Brother Gifferd. After I had an interview with him I pursued my journey towards Kirtland.

This is Sunday the 10th March (April).
This evening I came to Kirtland and put up at President Coltrin's and he was much pleased to see me and received me with much kindness, and on the 11th I went to see all the Brethren an I called and I went with the Brethren into the House of the Lord and seen all the apartments of the House and the Beauty of the workmanship and it is truly marvelous to see the greatness of the House and the beauty of the work.

April 12.
On this day at candle light I received the washing the first time with soap and water and the 13th received the washing with salt water and whiskey and with perfume and on the 14th I attended a feast of bread and wine and at candle light I received the anointing with oil in the name of the Lord. In this order of God is to be seen in its beauty. In performing these duties just opens the Scriptures to the understanding of the mind. On the 15th we made preparations to hold a Pentecostal feast in the House of the Lord to be held on the 16th and administered in like manner as the first, and on the 16th we attended to the washing of feet in the forenoon and the balance of the day we spent in fasting and prayer. And at night we held a feast and watched all night until near sunrise in the morning.

This is Sunday morning 17th April.
This day Joseph Smith preached in the forenoon and in the afternoon Bishop Whitney preached and Elder Cahoon preached. This was also a great day of instructions to those who have not been acquainted with the orders of the Kingdom. Monday I passed away in musing myself in meditation. This is the 18th. On the 19th I went in to the House of the Lord at nine o'clock in the morning to pray. This was a privilege that I prized very much. Great are the blessings that the Saints enjoy in this place. The 20th April I received my blessing under the hand of Joseph Smith Senior and on the 21 April 1836 I started for the land of Missouri in company with Elder Martin Allred. We left Kirtland, Ohio the 21 April and came 16 miles to a branch of the Church of Latter day Saints in Euclid township by Ahoga [Cuyahoga] County and appointed a meeting, but it stormed and snowed so hard that we were disappointed in holding a meeting this evening. This the 22 day April. This morning the ground is nearly covered with snow and the ground is froze and the weather is very cold and high wind and cold and so forth. We stayed here two nights and one day and held a meeting. We left this branch of the church on the 23rd day of April 1836.

We came through Bedford and came to the church on Tinkins Crick, from thence we came to Boston on the canal in Northfield Township and past on to a village about two miles above on the canal, where we spoke to a young man to inform us where we could get lodgings for the night. He told us we could stay with him so we tarried with him all night. His name is Brunson.

24 Sunday.
Here we preached in the forenoon in the little village to a Methodist congregation and in the afternoon we preached in the same place. This town is called Finensly (?).

We started on our journey to the South and came to the canal. 14 miles from thence to New Portage on the canal 7 miles south of Accorn [Akron]. Here we found a large church and tarried with them all night and thence pursued our journey to the South through Massillon, 35 miles thence to Bethleham on the canal, 5 miles thence to Sugar Creek falls, 7 miles thence to Shansville, 10 miles. This is a very hilly, broken country and very poor land all the way through the canal route.

The 27th we traveled 25 miles and came to Roz Cow [Roscow Village ?] on the canal in Cashockton [Coshocton] County. There we preached once. We held one meeting on the 28th at candle light in the evening. We stayed here two nights and one day. Mr. Wright and Mr. Demman used us well and they received us with much kindness.

On the 29th we pursued our journey to the South to Drestin [Dresden] village - 16 miles where we found some Brethren and Sisters. Here we found Brother Bronson with two other Elders. Held a meeting together. The Brethren received us here with much kindness. The wicked raged here in time of meeting and threatened.

April 30.
This morning we pursued our journey to the South and came through Zeursville (?) [Zanesville] and thence to Union town and came to Skinners and tarried all night.

We came to Sumner in Perry County and came to Godin Smith's in the neighborhood of Hendersons. On the 1st day of May 1836 we left John Smith's and came through new Lancaster 16 miles to Sincleville [Circleville]; 20 miles from Sincleville to Washington; 28 miles from Washington to Lebanon; 46 miles from Washington to Williamonton [Wilmington ?], 22 miles and through Harves Burgh [Harversburg] thence to Blumfield, from thence to Andrew Smith's in Butler County, Ohio. From John Smith's to Andrew Smith's 140 miles which we traveled in three days and a half. We came to Andrew Smith's on the 5 day of May and left there on the 7 day and came to the West through Eaton, thence through Richmond, Indiana, thence through Senterville [Centerville]. the distance from Andrew Smith's to Senterville 41 miles. This day we tried to get a meeting but could not.

8th May.
We came to Cambridge - 28 miles - thence we pursued the National Road West. 9th we traveled 26 1/2 miles and put up at George Morisons. I was much afflicted with a pain and swelling in my leg. The landlord steamed it and was very charitable and give us supper and lodging. In the morning we pursued our journey to the west. 10th May we traveled 26 1/2 miles and came to Indianapolis to Andrew Smith's and stayed at his house till morning and was well treated by his wife. 11 May We set off to the Southwest and came to James Smith's. This day we traveled 18 miles. We stayed at James Smith's from the 11th to the 13th - thence we set off to the West on the 13th day and traveled 34 miles and stayed all night at one Lockon. They charged us one bit apiece for supper and lodging. 14th we pursued our journey and staid at Hoskings tavern. Traveled 38 miles. He charged us 62 1/2 cents.

Sunday 15th
We pursued our journey through Terry Haute (?) [Terre Haute]. Crossed the Wabash River. They charged us a bit. The people are hard in this country. We could get no preaching through Indiana. One man would not give us our breakfast. We are setting a side of the road at this time. We traveled 38 miles this day and stayed all night at an old gentleman's house near Grand View Town, [Grandview] Ill.

16th May.
We pursued our journey to the West and traveled 34 miles and put up in the afternoon at Posesia (prairie) [?] thence fourteen miles on the O. Caw [Kaskaskia ?] River, Col. [Coles] County.

17th May.
This morning we pursued our journey across the six mile Pasasia (prairie) before breakfast. This day we traveled 48 miles. We pursued our journey to the West and found Brother Haley in Sangamon County, Ill., and sold him three Books of Mormon and he give us $3.00. We tarried with him all night. We came 22 miles. This day, the 19th after breakfast we started on our journey to the West through Springfield, from thence towards Jacksonville. Traveled 24 miles and stopped for the night. 20th. This morning we pursued our journey to the West through Jacksonville and traveled 40 miles and stayed all night at a Mister Websters. 21st. We started on our journey and traveled through several villages by the Phillipses Ferry to Alter [Alton] - near the Mississippi River. 35 miles. Here we stayed all night. The landlady charged us 75 cents for supper and lodging. Here we could not get across the river. We had to go up the river two miles and a half then we had to give a dollar to take us half way across, the distance is about 6 miles that we had to ferry. We are here on the bank of the river at a cabin in the weeds and not a sole at home. It is now about 11 o'clock Sunday May 22, 1836. The Lord only knows how we are to get from here. We have no money only a bit we was left on hand at a house and nobody home. We waited about an hour when the ones of the place returned with his family from across the river. When he came along side where we was sitting on one of his boats, he spoke very polite and friendly and induced us into the house. We told him our situation and how we came hither. We told him we was trading and had the last dollar to a mister Stoll to bring us this far. The Lord opened the heart of this to consider our situation. We offered him anything we had to take us across the River and would have taken us across for nothing. Brother Martin give him his umbrella, then the Lord delivered us from our trouble and we had not been here more than 2 or 3 hours till the Lord mad a way for our delivery. We crossed the river very safe and came on our way 22 miles this afternoon and stayed at one Mister Clarks all night. We told the circumstance, we had only one bit of money, we wanted to stay with them all night. They received us very kindly and gave us supper and lodging but talked hard against our faith, but charged us nothing. We pursued our journey in the morning. It rained very hard. we called at Gernel Clavelands in time of the rain. We told him that we had but one bit of money, we would give it to him for something to eat. He said we should have our breakfast anyhow - so we eat our breakfast and pursued our journey to the West and it rained all day.

This the 23 day of May.
We came to Salt River about three o'clock this afternoon and stayed at Anderson Jues (?) all night.

We spent this day in seeing the neighbors and talking with them and mending our old boots and thence and so forth. Many are the trials of the Saints but the Lord delivers them out of them all. 25th this morning we started on our journey. We traveled 27 miles and came to a house and called for dinner. We got a very good dinner. The gentleman would not charge us anything. We then pursued our journey to the west. This day we came 42 miles and stayed at a house and in the morning we paid 50 cents and pursued our journey. 26th. We came Shardon [Chariton ?] Ferry 30 miles to Brother Fassets. Here we stayed all night on the 27th. We started for Clay County, Traveled this day 41 miles and Stayed all night at Mister Curtisses. The 28th we pursued our journey and came to Brother Allreds and in Clay County. This day we came 50 miles. 29th this day I stayed at Allred for meeting and in the afternoon I arrived at Home about sunset and found all well which was gratifying to me. This ends my Record of an 8 months Mission.


(The following is written in pencil in the back of the Diary.)

Sarah Burkett baptized for father and mother, sister Catherine, William Jamison, Hugh Tomlinson and wife, Elliner Smith, Elizabeth Smith Wells, Samuel Patterson, Umfrey Smith, Andrew Smith, Joseph Winsor or Wimon, Grandmother Smith.


My father and mother, My sister Sarah Burkett, my grandfather and grandmother Burkett, my uncle Jacob Burkett and wife, Stofel Burkett and wife, Peter Swovelin and wife.

Uncle Henry Leach and his wife Catherine Leach, Grandfather Swovelin, Grandmother Swovelin, great grandfather and grandmother Swovelin, great grandfather and grandmother Burkett.

Samuel Waterman.
Mary Ann Jones married George Snate or Smith
George Burkett
David Gollah.

My first preaching Madison County, Ill and in Macoupin Co. and Green Counties and St. Clair County and Clinton County and Washington County and Jefferson County and Bond County.

January 18, 1836
Let the company have one hundred and 32 bushels turnips $160.60.

Do. to 2 days work getting wagon wood 02.00
Do. to one barrel pickles 07.50
Do. to 50 rails .50

(Copied from the original March 6, 1935 by Marion L. Clawson. The original is in the possession of Mrs. J.J.Furniss of 1103 Oak, Ogden, Utah)

[Here continues his autobiography].

In Feb. 1839 I was driven out of Missouri and moved into the state of Illinois.

When Nauvoo was founded I immediately moved there and was at the 1st general conference. Lived there until 1846 and was ordained a High Priest by George A. Smith and Bishop Miller. Was in the Battle of Nauvoo in Sept. and left the next morning for the new home of the Saints in the West.

The morning after leaving Nauvoo I was married to (2) Elizabeth Evans, widow of Tomas Evans, my 1st wife having died in Augusta, Iowa a few months previous, with whom I lived happily and who has been a great comfort and help to me and a faithful member of the church.

I did not arrive at Council Bluffs until the following spring of 1848. I tarried by council of President Brigham Young to get an outfit and in June 1852 I started west for the Great Salt Lake City, arrived in Sept. and located in West Jordan and presided over a branch of the Saints, and moved to Bingham's Fort in Weber Co. in the fall of 1855, and to Ogden Valley in 1862.

He came to Utah in 1852 in Captain David Wood's Sixth Company with one other person. (S10).

He died 15 March 1871 at Eden City near Ogden, Weber County, Utah.

(Elder Burkett died in full faith and fellowship in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and highly respected by his numerous friends and acquaintances.)

WIFE (1):
Sarah Jane SMITH (SCHMIDT). [Ancestors].
Born 5 January 1787 (1789) near Terry Town (Taneytown), Carrol County, Maryland; daughter of John SCHMIDT and Catherine BESS (Best).

She married George BURKETT Jr. in 1810.

She died in 1846 at Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois (source 2 says in the she died in Augusta, Des Moines County, Iowa).


WIFE (2):
She married (1) Thomas EVANS. She married (2) George BURKETT [F242] in September 1846.

CHILDREN of George BURKETT [F242] and Elizabeth, widow EVANS:

WIFE (3):
Elizabeth POWELL.
Born about 1788. Marriage: ABT 1848 in Des Moines, Lee Co, Iowa

CHILDREN of George BURKETT [F242] and Elizabeth POWELL

WIFE (4):
Karen "Carn" HANSEN.
They were married on 16 Nov 1854 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co, Utah; probably in the Endowment House.

CHILDREN of George BURKETT [F242] and Karen HANSEN


George Burkett Jr. and Sarah Jame Smith  
Elizabeth Ann Burkett and William Washington Williams
George William Washington Williams and Lydia Powell Ferrin 
George William Williams and Harriet Thurston
Minnie Williams and Clive Vernon Tenney
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris