HOME ~ Contact us
Thomas Burton and Suzannah Hatcher
Born between 1634 and 1640 in England; son of Richard BURTON and Katherine CHRISTIAN. The name Burton is by origin a place name, signifying "burgtun" or "borough-town".
He came to America about 1652 with his brother, John. .
They both settled in Henrico County, Virginia. In 1656 they acquired the 350 acre plantation of "Cobbs" on the north bank of the Appomattox River and just to the west of the Bermuda Hundred tract. "Cobbs" was originally patented to Ambrose Cobbs of York County in 1639, and was located in a part of Henrico County which later became Chesterfield County.
The James River divided the families of Thomas Burton "Of Cobbs" and John Burton of "Longfield". Thomas and his descendants lived exclusively of the south side of the James in Bristol, and later, Dale Parishes. The territory was to form parts of Amelia and Prince George counties, and all of Chesterfield County.
He married Suzannah HATCHER between 1660 and 1665 (about 1663). He is also said to have married Susannah ALLEN, but this appears to be in error.
The existing records for Henrico County begin in 1677, and the first mention of Thomas is on the Tax List of 1679, called "An account of ye several fortye Tythables", which was authorized on 25 April 1679. His name appears between Richard Ligon and William Baugh, probably his closest neighbors.
On 1 February (JAN-S11) 1685 he divided his estate of "Cobbs" into four 100 acre parcels and deeded each of his four sons one parcel. This was probably a stipulation of his will, so he probably died in January 1685 or possibly even shortly before the turn of the year in 1684. He died at Bristol Parish, Henrico County, Virginia. His wife received letters of estate administration from the court on 1 Feb 1685. The inventory of his belongings was returned by the appraisers on 1 April 1686. No will has ever been located. His will was administered in 1689.
Born about 1646, of Henrico County, Virginia; daughter of William HATCHER and Mary WARD.
She married (1) Thomas BURTON between 1660 and 1665.
She married (2) John STEWARD or STEWART on 2 October 1686.
She died before 1736.
CHILDREN of Thomas BURTON and Suzannah HATCHER:
- Thomas BURTON Jr. Born about 1664. He married Elizabeth (Buchanan?). She married (2) John BUCHANAN. He died before 16 MAY 1692.
- John BURTON. Born in 1666. He married Elizabeth FOWLER. He died in 1734.
- Isaac BURTON. Born in 1667. He died in 1736.
- Abraham BURTON. Born in 1669 in Amelia County, Virginia. He married Ann FEATHERSTONE. He died in 1736.
- Ann BURTON. Born probably in 1671 (1675) in Henrico County, Virginia. She married Bartholomew STOVALL on 8 August 1693. She died before October 1725.
- [S1]. Colonial Genealogist, Vol. 10:4. Fall 1981.
- [S2]. Burton-Allen/HATCHER Anthology.
- [S3]. Research of Ann Garret Echard, 854 Marvin Ave., Norfolk 3, Virginia.
- [S4]. Burton Chronicles of Colonial Virginia, pp.33-40, Francis Burton Harrison, 1933. 1979. 1996.
- [S5]. Colonial Wills of Henrico County, Virginia, Part One, 1677-1737, pp.13, 14, Benjamin B. Weisiger III, Richmond, VA., 1976.
- [S6]. Henrico County, Virginia Deeds 1677-1705. pg.32, Benjamin B. Weisiger III, Richmond, VA, 1986.
- [S7]. Burton Families. Series I, p.59, A. Maxim Coppage, Walnut Creek, CA. May, 1969.
- [S8]. Burton Families. Series I, pg.82, A. Maxim Coppage, Walnut Creek, CA. December, 1969.
- [S9]. Burton Families. Series IV, pg.161, A. Maxim Coppage, Walnut Creek, CA. Summer, 1989.
- [S10]. W&MCQ. (1), Vol.XXIV, No.1, p.131, July, 1915, "Henrico County, Virginia: Beginnings of its families", William Clayton Torrence.
- [S11]. http://www.gwest.org/burton.htm.
- [S12]. The Family of Bartholomew Stovall, Vol. I, by Neil D. Thompson, Ph.D., 1993.
- [S13]. Judith H. Dixon. http://www.gbronline.com/dixonj/ann_burton.htm
- [S14]. Stovall Connections. by Rollo P. Stovall, member S.A.R.. 1978.
- [S15]. Moving On: The Stovalls. by G. Spencer Beasley. 1013 Mars Dr., Colorado Springs, CO 80906. 1981.
- [S16]. Genealogies of Virginia Families. Vol. 2:870-873. 1982. Baltimore:Gealogical publishing Co., Inc.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Suzannah Hatcher and Thomas Burton
Ann Burton and Bartholomew Stovall
Bartholomew Stovall and Mary Hughes
Bartholomew Stovall and Sally Brackett
Jesse Stovall and Elizabeth Howard
George Stovall and Maria Scott
Sarah M. Stovall and James Marion Handy
William Joseph Handy and Birdie Alice Pearl Hentze
Glenn Russell Handy and Mildred Ella Tenney
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris