HOME ~ Contact us
Joseph Cahoon and Elizabeth Scranton
Joseph CAHOON. [Familytree].
Born in 1665 on Block Island, Washington County, Rhode Island; son of William CAHOON and Deliverance PECK. He was of Bristol, Bristol County, Massachusetts (Rhode Island?).
He married (1) Hannah KENT (about 1687-S3)(in 1689-S5); by whom he had Joseph Jr, John, Hannah and Samuel.
He married (2) Elizabeth SCRANTON on 30 April 1700; by whom he had William, Benjamin, Ebenezer, Judith and Barbara.
He died about 1710 in Bristol, Rhode Island.
Born on 2 July 1667 at Charlestowne, Middlesex County, Massachusetts; daughter of John KENT and Hannah GRISWOLD (GRISWALD-S5). She married Joseph CAHOON She died before 1700.
CHILDREN of Joseph CAHOON and Hannah KENT:
- Joseph CAHOON. Born on 3 Aug 1690 (about 1688-S3) at Bristol, Bristol, Rhode Island. (in Charlestown, Massachusetts-S5).
- John CAHOON. Born 24 Jul 1692 (about 1690-S3) at Bristol, Bristol, Rhode Island.
- Hannah CAHOON. Born 22 Mar 1696 (about 1692-S3) at Bristol, Bristol, Rhode Island.
- Samuel CAHOON. Born 1 May 1699 (about 1694-S3) at Bristol, Bristol, Rhode Island.
Elizabeth Scranton was born in North Kingston, Washington County, Rhode Island. She was of Bristol, Massachusetts. (S4).
CHILDREN of Joseph CAHOON and Elizabeth SCRANTON:
- Ebenezer CAHOON. [Familutree]. Born on (8 Oct 1706-S4)(about 1713-S3) in East Greenwich, Kent County, Rhode Island. He served in the British Army as a lieutenant in the French and Indian War. He married Mary REYNOLDS in 1728 in Kent County, Rhode Island. Ebenezer's occupation is listed as a house carpenter. He died in East Greenwich, Kent, Rhode Island.
- William CAHOON. Born (about 1707)(8 OCT 1706-S4) in East Greenwich, Rhode Island. (Source S4 says he married Mary Reynolds in 1738, but says the same about his brother Ebenezer. It also gives the same birthdate for William and Ebenezer. Were they twins perhaps? Or was William not even a member of this family?)
- Barbara CAHOON. Born 27 NOV 1709.
- Benjamin CAHOON. Born about 1711.
- , Judith (Judea-S3) CAHOON. Born about 1715.
- [S1]. LDS Family Search. Familysearch.org. http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=ancestorsearchresults.asp
- [S2]. Avon, Ohio History. Genealogy of the Cahoon family by Jean Fischer. http://www.centuryinter.net/tjs11/gen/cahoon.htm.
- [S3]. TRAILS OF TIME - GENEALOGY. http://www.trailsoftime.aunspaw.com/all/1691.htm and http://www.trailsoftime.aunspaw.com/all/1710.htm
- [S4]. Ancestors of William Cahoon. Research of Terri Hamblin. Correspondence of 9 OCT 2005.
- [S5]. RootsWeb.com. http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/COLQUHOUN/1998-10/0909539486. QUOTES as sources: a) Our Calhoun Family. 800 years of Colquhoun, Colhoun, Calhoun, and Cahoon family history
in Ireland, Scotland, England, United States of America, Australia, and Canada. Orval O. Calhoun. 1905. Baltimore : Gateway Press, 1976-1991. In 4 volumes. [NOTE: Orval Calhoun's book lacks serious documentation. The Clan Colquhoun Society in Dunbartonshire have expressed the opinion that Alexander and Marion, as far as their records are concerned, had only one daughter: "According to Fraser, the family historian, Alexander Colquhoun who
married Marion Stirling had one daughter Jean, who was baptised in 1632, and goes on to state that he "appears to have died without surviving issue". "]. b) Royal and Ancient Heritage of Family Colquhoun" (Thomas W.Camfield, 1995).
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Joseph Cahoon (1665-c 1710) md Elizabeth Scranton
Ebenezer Cahoon (1706-?) md Mary Reynolds (step sister of Reynolds Cahoon)
William Cahoone (1733-1813) md Elizabeth Vaughan
William Cahoon (1765-1828) md Mary Smith
Mary Cahoon (1810-?) md David Elliott
Peter Mack Elliott (1833-1885) md Charlotte Alvord
Harriett Louisa Elliott (1860-1902) md James Newberry Morris
Eli Ray Morris (1892-1980) md Tina Matilda Kunzler
LeGrand Elliott Morris (1916-2005) md Dorothea Berta Ernestine Kersten
Rodney Allen Morris and Deborah Lee Handy