HOME ~ Contact us
Thomas Chandler and Joanne Farr
[F62736]. Thomas CHANDLER III. [PC W2-9-17].
Born in 1528 at Bishop's Stortford,Hertfordshire, England; son of Thomas CHANDLER II [F125472] and Agnes [F125473].
In 1534, his family was legally forced to abandon the Roman Catholic faith and become "Anglican" (Church of England) with the passage of the Act of Supremacy, recognizing the King of England as the head of the Church.
The earliest mention found of Thomas is in the subsidy of Edward VI [1549/50-1550/1] when as Thomas Chaundler jun. he was assessed at Stortford 10s. on goods. He is taxed at Stortford in subsequest subsidies.
He married Joanne Farr in 1552 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England.
In 1556 Henry Hoye was quenrent v. Thomas Chaundeler and his wif Hoane (Joane), deforciants, for a messuage and lands in Stortford.
Thomas Chandler also appears for many years in the churchwardens' accounts. In 1558 he paid an assessment of 12d., in 1562 he paid 5s. for wood in Thorleywyk; in 1573 he was collector for the market house and in 1582 he paid 12s. rent. The churchwarden's rental amounts show that in 1592 Philologus Bush and Robert Smith held a double tenement in South Street, formerly Bowyers, where they resided, iach paying 6d. per year. In the next year (1593) the said double tenement was held by Philologus Bush and Thomas Chandler, the latter evidently having secured Smith's moiety.
Philologus Bush and Thomas Chandler continue to reside there , and appear there yearly until 1600, when Thomas Chandler is succeeded by Henry Chandler. Then Philologus Bush and Henry Chandler appear there yearly until 1619, when the latter is succeeded by his widow.
Thomas Chandler was church warden at Bishops Stortford in 1562, 1563 and 1574.
He died on 4 June 1611 in Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, England.
He left no will and, as the parish registers do not give the names of the parents of infants baptised prior to 1580, the names of all his children cannot be given with certainty.
[F62737]. Joanne FARR. [PC W2-9-18].
Born in 1529 in Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, England; daughter of John Farr 1428–1461 and Agnes Farr. She died on 11 March 1606 at Bishop'sStortford, Hertfordshire, England.
CHILDREN of Thomas CHANDLER III [F62736] and Joanne FARR [F62737]:
- Barbara Chandler b. 1553
- Agnes Chandler b. abt 1555 Bishop Stortford, Hertfordshire, England
- [F31368]. Henry CHANDLER. [PC W2-9]. Born about 1560 in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England. He married Anne ____ [F31369] in 1590 in Bishop'sStortford,Hertfordshire, England. He died on 17 December 1618 Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England.
- Sarah Chandler. m. 20-Sep-1580 Bishop's Stortford, Co., Herts John Ingham
- Richard Chandler b. abt 1565 Bishop Stortford, Hertfordshire, England.
- Edward Chandler b. 1568 Bishop Stortford, Hertfordshire, England. m. 1600 Ann _____ d. aft 1593.
- William Chandler
- John Chandler.
- Thomas Chandler, IV b. abt 1575 Bishop Stortford, Hertfordshire, England d. 23-May-1592 Bishop Stortford, Hertfordshire, England.
- [S1]. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/3975/Chandler/chanengl.html
- [S2]. Thomas Tobias Chandler, III (c.1528 - 1611. Geni. http://www.geni.com/people/Thomas-Chandler-III/6000000006972013115.
- [S3]. Thomas Chandler III. http://www.milkcanpapers.com/chandler0-4.html.