HOME ~ Contact us
William Chandler and Annis Bayford
. William CHANDLER. [PC W2-9. ].
Christened 12 October 1595 at Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, England; son of Henry CHANDLER [F31368] and Anne [F31369].
William Chandler was a point maker (lace tags used before buttons).
He married (1) Alice THURGOOD on 29 January 1621 at Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, England.
He married (2) Annis (BAYFORD-S1,S2,S4)(ALCOCK-S?) [F15685] on 6 November 1625 at Farnham, Essex, England. Farnham is a small village in Essex, England, situated near Bishop's Stortford.
William Chandler and Annis Bayford came to New England in (1635/6)(1637-S3,S4). He settled at Roxbury. Occupation: Tanner.
William Chandler became a freeman on 13 May 1640 at Roxbury, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
William died on Sunday, 26 (January-S3,S4)(November-S1) 1641-1642 at Roxbury, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, at age 46 years, 3 months and 14 days; according to the Roxbury Church records, 1641, month 11: day 26 Wm. Chandler a Christian and godly brother dyed of a Consumption.
. Annis (Annis-S1,S3)(Hannah-S?)(Agnes-S1) (ALCOCK-S?)(BAYFORD-S1,S3).
Born about JUN 1603 at Farnham, Essex, England; daughter of Francis BAYFORD [F31370] and Joan/Johan [F31371]. Christened 12 JUN 1603 at Farnham, Essex, England.
She married (1) William CHANDLER on 6 NOV 1625 at Farnham, Essex, England.
She married (2) John DANE on 2 July 1643 at Roxbury, Massacushetts. John died in September 1658 and was buried on 14 September 1658 at Roxbury, Massachusetts.
She married (3) (Deacon) John PARMENTER on 9 August 1660 at Roxbury, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. John died on 15 March 1682-1683.
She died on Friday, (15-S1)(17-S3) March 1683/84 at Roxbury, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
The Church Records read, 1683 month 1, day 17, died Old Mother Parminter a blessed saint.
CHILDREN of William CHANDLER  and Annis ALCOCK :
- William CHANDLER. Born about Mar 1627 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. Baptized on 26 Mar 1627 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. William died young at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, in Nov 1633. Buried on 27 Nov 1633 in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire.
- [F7842]. (Captain) Thomas CHANDLER. Born about AUG 1628 at Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, England. He was christened 9 AUG 1629 at Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, England. He married Hannah BREWER [F7843] (in 1650-S?)(1651-S2)(on 28 MAY 1659-S1) at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. Occupation: Blacksmith. Thomas Chandler served in 1678 in Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts, as the Representative to the Massachusetts General Court. He died 15 (MAY-S1)(JAN-S2) 1702-1703 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Hannah CHANDLER. Born in May (1629-S2)(1630-S1) at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. Christened on 22 May 1620 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. Hannah first married George Abbot (640) , son of George Abbot (322) (ca May 1587-1646) & Elizabeth [Abbot], on 12 DEC 1646 at Roxbury, Massachusetts. George was born ca Jun 1615 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. Baptized on 14 Jun 1615 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. George died at Andover, MA, on 24 Dec 1681.10 Occupation: Taylor. From the Genealogical Register of the Descendants of George Abbot: "George Abbot, the venerable ancestor of a numberous progeny, emigrated, as tradition reports, from Yorkshire, England, about 1640, was among the first settlers of Andover, in 1643, and a proprietor; lived and died on the farm now  owned by John Abbot. His house was a garrison, and was used as such many years after his death. In 1647, he married Hannah Chandler, daughter of William and Annis Chandler. Her brother Thomas wa among the first settlers of Andover, and progenitor of a numerous race. They were industrious, economical, sober, pious and respected. With Christian fortitude and submission they endured their trials, privations and dangers, of which they had a large share. They brought up a large family well, and trained them in the way they should go, from which they did not depart." Hannah married (2) (Rev.) Francis Dane, her stepbrother, and she was his third wife, in 1690. Her mother had married his father in 1643. Hannah died 2 JUN 1711 at Andover, Massachusetts.
- Henry CHANDLER. Born ca Aug 1632 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. Christened on 13 August 1632 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. England. He died young.
- (Deacon) John CHANDLER. Born (about JUL 1634)(1635-S2) at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. Baptized on 27 Jul 1634 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. On 16 Feb 1658/9 John married Elizabeth Douglas, daughter of William Douglas (9 Aug 1610-26 Jul 1682) & Ann Mattle (-16 Sep 1691), at New London, Connecticut. Born on 26 Aug 1641 at Ipswich, MA. Elizabeth died at Woodstock, Connecticut, on 23 Sepember 1705. John died at Woodstock, Windham County, Connecticut, on (13-S2)(15-S1) April 1703.
- William CHANDLER. Born ca Mar 1635-1636 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. Christened on 20 Mar 1635/6 at Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire. Occupation: Brickmaker. William married (1) Mary Dane, daughter of John Dane (ca 1613-29 Sep 1684) & Eleanor Clark (ca 1614-aft 1684) on (18-S2)(24-S1) Aug 1658, at (Andover-S1)(Ipswich-S2), Massachusetts. Born ca 1638. Mary died at Andover, MA, on 10 May 1679. On 8 Oct 1679 William married (2) Bridget Henchman, daughter of (Major) Thomas Henchman, at Andover, MA. William died at Andover, MA, on 18 Aug 1698.
- Sarah CHANDLER. Born ca 1638-1639 at Roxbury, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. This Sarah did not marry Ephraim Stevens on 11 Oct 1680. That Sarah was Sarah's niece Sarah Abbot, daughter of George & Hannah (Chandler) Abbot. On 4 Nov 1659 Sarah first married William (CLEAVER-S1)(CLEAVES-S2), at Roxbury, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. William died at Sudbury, MA, on 29 Apr 1676. William was killed in the Sudbury fight in Phillip's War. Bef Sep 1681 Sarah second married [———] WILSON. Bef 13 Nov 1683 Sarah third married [———] (PARKER-S1)(ALLEN-S2). She died after 1718 in Sandwich, Massachusetts.
- Elizabeth CHANDLER. She died 30 September 1636 at Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, England.
- Annis CHANDLER. Born in 1639. (S2).
- [S1]. Pane-Joyce Genealogy. http://babbage.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr01/rr01_341.html#P66127
- [S2]. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/3975/Chandler/chanengl.html
- [S3]. http://www.theroyfamily.com/gen/roy/p253.htm.
- [S4]. William Chandler. Ancestry of Robert Roy and Related Families. http://www.theroyfamily.com/p24213.htm. QUOTES as sources:
- a) Burrell, Alyce Adams. A Genealogy of Sherwin-Shedd and Allied Families in America. Baltimore: Gateway Press, Inc., 1990.
b) Bailey, Sarah Loring. Historical Sketches of Andover, Massachusetts. 1880. Reprint Bowie, Maryland: Hertiage Books, 1994.
c) Wyman, Thomas Bellows. The Genealogies and Estates of Charlestown, Massachusetts 1629-1818. 1879. Reprint Somersworth, New Hampshire: New England History Press, 1982.
d) Pope, Charles Henry. The Pioneers of Massachusetts. 1900. Reprint Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1981.
e) Ullmann, Helen Schatvet. "Sarah (Chandler)(Cleaves)(Stevens)(Parker) Allen of Roxbury and Sandwich, Massachusetts", The American Genealogist volume 80 (January 2005).