HOME ~ Contact us
John COLQUHOUN and Jean Erskine
(Sir) John COLQUHOUN. Eighth Lord of Colquhoun and tenth of Luss. [Familytree].
Born in 1370 in Dumbarton, Scotland; son of Humphrey COLQUHOUN .
Sir John Colquhoun succeeded his brother Robert as eighth of Colquhoun.
He bound himself, between 25th July, 1392 and the 23rd of April, 1411, by letters patent, sealed with his seal, to Duncan, seventh Earl of Lennox, that he would marry Margaret, daughter of that Earl, within the term of two years. Whether Sir John implemented this engagement does not appear.
He married Jean ERSKINE.
Sir John Colquhoun was appointed Governor of the Castle of Dumbarton in 1424 by King James I, for his fidelity during his imprisonment in England. From his activity in punishing the depredations of the Highlanders, who often committed great outrages in the low country of Dumbartonshire, he rendered himself obnoxious to them, and a plot was formed for his destruction. He received a civil message from some of their chiefs, desiring a friendly conference, in order to accommodate all their differences. Suspecting no treachery, he went out to meet them but slightly attended, and was immediately attacked by a numerous body of Islanders, under two noted robber-c hiefs, Lachlan Maclean and Murdoch Gibson, and slain in Inchmurren, on Loch Lommond, on 24 SEP 1439. He was buried at Dumbarton, Scotland.
Jean Erskine. [Familytree].
Daughter of Robert, Lord Erskine [F4521986], who was a co-heir with Lyle, of Duchal, of the ancient Earls of Mar.
CHILDREN of (Sir) John COLQUHOUN and Jean ERSKINE:
- Malcolm COLQUHOUN. [Familytree]. Born in 1395 in Dumbarton, Scotland. He married about 1418 in Dumbarton, Scotland. He died in (1429)(1439-S3) in Dumbarton, Scotland.
- Isabel Colquhoun. Born in 1398. Isabel married David Douglas. David Douglas was born in Mains, Scotland.
- [S1]. TRAILS OF TIME - GENEALOGY. http://www.trailsoftime.aunspaw.com/all/2143.htm
- [S2]. The Chittick Family History, as written by Erminda (Chittick) Rentoul . 1890 The Lodge, Cliftonville, Belfast. Ireland. http://www.chittick.com/history/erminda/colquhoun_luss.html
- [S3]. Ancestors of William Cahoon. Research of Terri Hamblin. Correspondence of 9 OCT 2005.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
John Colquhoun and Jean Erskine
John Colquhoun and Lady Boyd
Humphrey Colquhoun and Helen (Jean)
John Colquhoun and Elizabeth Margaret Stewart
Humphrey Colquhoun and Helen Catherine Graham
John Colquhoun and (1) Christian Erskine (2) Agnes Boyd
Alexander Colquhoun and Margaret Helen Buchanan
(Sir) John Colquhoun and Katherine Graham
William Colquhoun (changed to Cahoon) (1635-1675) md Deliverance Peck
Joseph Cahoon (1665-c 1710) md Elizabeth Scranton
Ebenezer Cahoon (1706-?) md Mary Reynolds (step sister of Reynolds Cahoon)
William Cahoone (1733-1813) md Elizabeth Vaughan
William Cahoon (1765-1828) md Mary Smith
Mary Cahoon (1810-?) md David Elliott
Peter Mack Elliott (1833-1885) md Charlotte Alvord
Harriett Louisa Elliott (1860-1902) md James Newberry Morris
Eli Ray Morris (1892-1980) md Tina Matilda Kunzler
LeGrand Elliott Morris (1916-2005) md Dorothea Berta Ernestine Kersten
Rodney Allen Morris and Deborah Lee Handy