HOME ~ Contact us
Thomas Erskine, 2nd Lord Erskine, and Janet Douglas
Thomas Erskine, 2nd Lord Erskine. [PC M3-17-5].
Son of Robert Erskine and Elizabeth Lindsay.
He married Janet Douglas before 1445. (S1,S2).
He was invested as a Knight before January 1440-1441. (S2).
He succeeded to the title of 14th Earl of Mar between 7 September 1451 and 6 November 1452, de jure. (S2).
He succeeded to the title of 2nd Lord Erskine between 7 September 1451 and 6 November 1452. (S2).
He held the office of Sheriff of Stirling in 1483. (S2).
He died (before 1493-S2)(in 1494-S1) and was succeeded, as 3rd Lord Erskine, by his son, Alexander. (S1).
His family was claimant to the earldom of Mar; when this was recognized in 1565 Thomas was acknowledged, retrospectively, as the 14th Earl. (S1).
Janet Douglas. [PC M3-17-5].
CHILDREN of Thomas Erskine, 2nd Lord Erskine
- Helen Erskine. She married Humphrey Colquhoun of Luss, son of Sir John Colquhoun of Luss.
- Margaret Erskine. (Mariota). [PC M3-17-5]. Margaret married William Keith, 1st Earl Marischal.
- Elizabeth Erskine. She married Sir Alexander (Seton) Gordon of Touch and Tullibody (the son of Alexander Gordon, 1st Earl of Huntly (died 15 July 1470) and Lady Eqlidia Hay - daughter of Sir John Hay, of Tullibody, and Lady Margaret Stewart, of Roulstoun).
- Alexander Erskine. He married Christian Crichton the daughter of Sir Robert of Sanquhar by his wife, Lady Elizabeth. He succeeded his father as 3rd Lord Erskine. Alexander died in 1509.
- Margaret Erskine.
- [S1]. Thomas Erskine, 2nd Lord Erskine. Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Erskine,_2nd_Lord_Erskine. QUOTES as source: Thepeerage.com. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- [S2]. Thomas Erskine, 2nd Lord Erskine. Person Page-2588. The Peerage. http://www.thepeerage.com/p2588.htm#i25871.