Home ~ Contact us
(Sgt) John Hoyt and Francis (Tuxbury?)
[F7830]. (Sergeant) John HOYT.
Born (about 1614-S1)(on 12 March 1614-S2) in Dorset, England; son of (Simon?) HOYT [F15660].
He was the sergeant of the Salisbury militia company. (S3).
He married Francis (TUXBURY?) [F7831] (about 1633-S2)(about 1635-S1) in Salisbury, Massachusetts.
It is said (S3) that his wife Frances died in 1643, apparently in childbirth, and that he married (2) Frances (last name unknown).
John took the oath of fidelity on 1 Oct 1650. (S3).
He took the freeman's oath on 31 Mar 1663. (S3).
John Hoyt, Sr. was admonished in 1664 for entertaining his son when he was a servant of Walter Taylor's. (S3).
He was frequently on the grand jury on 13 Apr 1652, 14 Apr 1663, 9 Apr 1667, 12 Oct 1669, and 9 Apr 1678. (S3).
He was chosen selectman in Mar 1681-1682. (S3).
He was moderator of the town meeting in Apr 1687. (S3).
He died on (28-S1,S3)(29-S2) February 1688 at Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He is buried in the Golgotha Burial Ground in Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
[F7831]. Frances (TUXBURY?-S1)(TEWKSBURY-S2).
She married John HOYT [F7830].
She died (in 1643-S1)(on 23 February 1642-1643, probably in childbirth.
CHILDREN of John HOYT and Francis (TUXBURY?):
- [F3915]. Frances HOYT. Born about 1635. She married (1) on 14 JAN 1655-6 at Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts John COLBY. She married (2) (Cpt) John BARNARD [F3914] on 27 DEC 1676 at Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. She died 2 JAN 1720-1721 at Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- [F7836]. John HOYT. Born about 1638. He married Mary BARNES [F7837] on 23 JUN 1659. He died 13 AUG 1696.
- Gregory Hoyt. (twin). Born on 1 January 1640 in Salisbury, Massachusetts. He died on 1 January 1641-1642 in Salisbury, Massachusetts.
- Thomas HOYT. (twin). Born on 1 January 1640 in Salisbury, Massachusetts. Thomas Hoyt and Thomas Johnson were admonished and fined on 29 Mar 1664 for being disorderly away fromt heir master Walter Taylor. Walter was fined for cursing his servants. John Hoyt, Sr. was admonished for entertaining his son when he was a servant of Walter Taylor's. He married Mary BROWN about 1667. He died 3 JAN 1690.
- Elizabeth Hoyt. Born on 23 February 1642-1643 in Salisbury.
CHILDREN of John HOYT and Francis (according to S3):
- Sarah Hoyt was born on 11 Jan 1644/5 in Salisbury. She died on 26 Feb 1644/5 in Salisbury.
- Mary Hoyt was born on 20 Jan 1648/9 in Salisbury. She married Christopher Bartlet on 19 Dec 1663 in Salisbury. [This would make her rather young to be married.]
- Joseph Hoyt was born on 13 May 1648 in Salisbury. He died on 19 Apr 1648 [?] in Salisbury.
- Joseph Hoyt was born on 27 Nov 1649 in Salisbury. He died on 24 Jan 1649/50 in Salisbury.
- Marah" Hoyt was born on 24 November 1653 in Salisbury. She died on 1 Dec 1653 in Salisbury.
- Naomi Hoyt was born on 23 Jan 1654/5 in Newbury. She married first John Lovejoy on 23 Mar 1677/8 in Andover. He died on 14 Jul 1680 in Andover. Naomi Lovejoy was fined for fornication with Benjamin Abbott in Jun 1683. In 1684, they had an illegitimate daughter in Andover. She married second Richard Stratton after 1684. Richard was the son of Samuel and Mary (Frye) Stratton. Naomi Lovejoy, administratrix of her deceased husband's estate, presented his inventory to court on 30 Nov 1680.
- Dorothy Hoyt was born on 13 Apr 1656 in Salisbury. Dorothy was charged with putting on men's clothes. As she had left the county, her father John appeared in court in her stead on 25 Sep 1677. He admitted that she was guilty and said that she was penitent. It was ordered that she be severely whipped when she returned unless her father paid a fine of 40 s.
- Mehitable Hoyt was born on 25 Oct 1664 in Salisbury.
- [S1]. http://www.dws.org/dlovrien/genweb/g0000046.html#I2027.
- [S2]. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=HOY&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GSst=21&GScntry=4&GSsr=401&GRid=54958216&.
- [S3]. http://www.treetreetree.org.uk/Hoyt.htm