HOME ~ Contact us
Henry Penny and Jane Dabinott
Henry PENNY. [Familytree].
Born 12 December 1571 at Paignton, Devonshire, England; son of William PENNY (and Mary Lewis-S10,S12). He was christened 12 December 1571 at Broad Chalke, Wiltshire, England. [How far apart are Paignton and Broad Chalk? Is that the same Henry?].
Paignton is a seaside town on the coast of Tor Bay in Devonshire, England. (S7).
Broad Chalke, sometimes spelled Broadchalke, Broad Chalk or Broadchalk, is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England, about 8 miles (13 km) west of the city of Salisbury. (S8).
Henry married (1) Margaret on 1 May 1588 in Saint Andrew, Plymouth, Devonshire, England.
He married (2) Jane DABINOTT on 10 July 1589 at Saint Andrew, Plymouth, Devonshire, England.
His will was written 6 April 1630 at Paignton, Devonshire, England. (S3).
Extracts From the Will of Henry Penny:
Will of HENRY PENNY of Paignton, Baker, Dated 6 April 1630. To poor of this parish 3/4. To Allen Penny my Son, my great Bible. To Joane Barter my daugher, one platter dish. To Katherine Penny my daughter, my great pan, etc.. To Cicelly Chapin my daugher, my second great pan. To Elliner Penny my daughter, three panscalled Coomings pans, etc.. To Allise Penny my daughter, one pan, called the Cheepe pan. To Susan Penny my daughter, one cupboard, one tableboard and one bedstead in Bridgetowne Pomery, etc. . To David Chapin my nephew, 20/ yearly for 7 years to be paid by Executrix towards his bringing up in learning. To William Penny my nephew, my best silver spoons. To Jane Penny one other of the children of my said son Allen Penny, 12d. To Katherine Penny one other daughter of Allen Penny, 12d. To Jane Barter, Joane Barter and Elizabeth Barter, children of Robert Barter, 12d each. To Katherine Chapin and Sarah Chapin 12d each. Residue to Jane my wife and make her Executrix...HENRY PENNY. (S3).
He died on (13-A4)(18-S11) May 1630, Paignton, Devonshire, England, and was buried there the same day. (S4).
Inventory of his estate was made by William Churchmard, Ellize Todd, Allen Penny and Samuel Chapin on 18 May 1630. (S3).
Margaret was born before 1570 in St Andrew, Plymouth, Devonshire, England. She married Henry PENNY on 1 May 1588 in Saint Andrew, Plymouth, Devonshire, England.
Jane DABINOTT. [Familytree].
She was born (between 1573-1601)(in 1573)(about 1580-S10) in Paignton, Devonshire, England; said (S9) to be the daughter of:
* Henry Dabinott and Rawlin Manfield. But a review of this family indicates that they are too far back in time to have a daughter Jane born about 1573.
* John Dabinott and Joanna Lewis or Collins.
It has been questioned that her maiden name is Dabinott. It is stated that there is little documentation for her other than the mention of her name as Jane in the will of her husband Henry.
She married Henry PENNY on 10 July 1589 in Saint Andrew, Plymouth, Devonshire, England.
Jane died on 29 October 1637 in Paignton, Devonshire, England and was buried on 29 October 1637 in Paignton, Devonshire, England. (S10).
CHILDREN of Henry PENNY and Jane DABINOTT:
- Allen Penny. Born about 1595, Of Paignton, Devonshire, England. He married Chrystian Fosse on 9 February 1623-1624. (S10).
- Joane Penny. (Joan-S10)(Joanne-S10). Born 1597, Paignton, Devonshire, England. She married Robert Barter. (S10).
- Katherine Penny. Born 30 Sep 1599, Paignton, Devon Co., EN. Married Thomas Benet 12 Jul 1632.
- Cicley PENNY. Born (21-S12)(27) February 1600-1601 at Paignton, Devonshire, England. She married Samuel CHAPIN on 9 Febrary 1622-1623 at Paignton, Devonshire, England. She died on 8 February 1681-1682 at Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts. (S10).
- Ellinor Penny. Born on 15 January 1603-1604, at Paignton, Devonshire, England. (S10).
- Alice Penny. (Alse-S10)(Alice-S10). Born on 20 April 1606, at Paignton, Devonshire, England. She married George Adam (Adams-S10) on 7 February 1630-1631. (S10).
- Susan Penny. Born on 2 December 1608, at Paignton, Devonshire, England. She married John Hilling on 22 January 1634-1635. (S10).
- David Penny. Born about 1610, at Paignton, Devonshire, England. (S10).
- William Penny. Born about 1612, at Paignton, Devonshire, England. (S10).
- Jane Penny. (S10).
- [S1]. LeGrand Elliott Morris Family Records.
- [S2]. Ancestral File Number: 55KC-FM. User ID: 4838/9246. Ancestral File Ver 4.10 Born ?1618/1628, Chr 12 Dec 1571, Died Wp (Will Proved) 18 May 1630, PMM6-0S Ver 4.13 Born Abt 1597, Ver 4.19 Died 18May 1630, Buried 13 May 1630.
- [S3]. The Chapin Book of Genealogical Data, With Brief Biographical Sketches of the Descendants of Deacon Samuel Chapin, Gilbert Warren Chapin, Vol I, Chapin Family Association, Hartford Connecticut, 1924. pIX:
- [S4]. Geneal.net. Ancestors of Eugene Ashton Andrew Jr & Anna Louise Hanish. http://www.geneal.net/1108.htm.
- [S5]. ANCESTRY.COM. World Ancestral Chart No. 17450 Ancestors of Wayne G Thorpe and Olive Loraine Slade.
- [S6]. INTERNATIONAL GENEALOGY INDEX. IGI Christening ?Undocumented Father of Cicely PENNY, IGI Marriage Henry PENNYE Mar Joan ?Undocumented Parents of Cicely PENNY.
- [S7]. Paignton. Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paignton.
- [S8]. Broad Chalke. Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_Chalke.
- [S9]. Individual Family files. Ancestry.com
- [S10]. Jane Penny (Dabinott). Geni. https://www.geni.com/people/Jane-Penny-Dabinott/6000000010895801612.
- [S11]. Henry Penny. Geni. https://www.geni.com/people/Henry-Penny/6000000001553660647.
- [S12]. Henry Penny. Find a Grave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/178194649/henry-penny.
HOW ARE WE RELATED
Jane Dabinott (c1573-1637) md Henry Penny
Cecily Penny (1601-1683) md Samuel Chapin
Japhet Chapin (1642-1712) md Abilenah Cooley
Samuel Chapin (1665-1729) md Hannah Sheldon
Caleb Chapin (1701-1755) md Catherine Dickinson
Submit Chapin (1747-1815) md Joseph Alvord
Thaddeus Alvord (1781-1874) md Sally Wellington
Charlotte Alvord (1815-1879) md (1) Lyman Curtis; md (2) Peter Mack Elliott
Harriett Louisa Elliott (1860-1902) md James Newberry Morris
Eli Ray Morris (1892-1980) md Tina Matilda Kunzler
LeGrand Elliott Morri (1916-2005) md Dorothea Berta Ernestine Kersten
Rodney Allen Morris and Deborah Lee Handy