HOME ~ Contact us
Edward Phelps and Elizabeth Adams
Edward PHELPS. [Ancestors].
Born (in 1620-S2,S8)(about 1624-S1)(1627-S7) (Bolton, Manchester) or (London), England; son of Henry PHELPS and Eleanor SHARP.
He was of Bolton, England.
He married Elizabeth ADAMS (about 1645-?)(1646-S2(about 1651-S1)(1658-S8) at Newbury, Massachusetts.
In the year 1678 all the male citizens in each town were ordered to take the oath of allegiance to the king. The list of names recorded for the town of Andover of those males over the age of 16 having taken the oath of allegance, in February 1678 contains the name of: Phelps, Edward, Junr. (S9) [It is not clear why the suffix “Junr.” Is used here at this date]
SAMUEL PHELPS and EDWARD PHFILPS were weavers. An ancient deed signed by them and their wives, respectively, Sarah Phelps and Ruth Phelps conveys, 1697, land near 11 rattlesnake rode to Timothy Abbot. (S9).
He died (in 1689-S10)(on 3 October 1689-S12,S13) at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts (S12).
From the Ballard Genealogy:
Joseph Ballard signed an agreement for the settlement of the estate of Edward Phelps, his wife's father, with the widow Elizabeth and sons Samuel and Edward Phelps, and another son-in-law, William Chandler, Jan. 17, 1689-1690.
Elizabeth ADAMS. [Ancestors].
Born (about 1624-S1)(in 1627-S10)(about 1641-S5,S8)(about 1641-1642-S12) at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts (S12); daughter of Robert ADAMS and Elanor WILMOT.
She married (1) Samuel SHARP. (S?).
She married (2) Edward PHELPS (about 1645-S?)(1646-S2(about 1651-S1)(about 1658-S8) at Newbury, Massachusetts. She moved to Andover, Massachusetts; where they lived. (S12).
She died (in 1718-S10)(on 4 May 1718) Worcester, Lancaster, MA. (S1,S2).
CHILDREN of Edward PHELPS and Elizabeth ADAMS:
- Elizabeth PHELPS. Born about 1646 at Newbury, Massachusets. She married (Ensign) Joseph BALLARD on 28 February 1665 (S11) at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. She died 27 July 1692 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S11). Joseph married (2) Rebecca Waters on 15 November 1692. (S11). Rebecca was the daughter of Joshua Rea and Sarah Waters, and the widow of Samuel Stevens and Simon Horne. (S11). Joseph died in 1720. (S11).
- Edward PHELPS. Born about 1649 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Elinor PHELPS. Born about 1648 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Samuel PHELPS. [Ancestors]. Born in 1651 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He married Sarah CHANDLER on 29 (May-S8)(March) 1682 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. He appears on a list of taxpayers in the year 1692, as being from the south part of the town. (S9). He died on 26 January 1746 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Bridget PHELPS. Born about 1652 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- John PHELPS. Born 15 December 1657 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He died 29 Jun 1677 at (Black Point, Massachusetts)(Scarboro, Maine-S?), when he was killed by Indians. He was buried at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Eleanor PHELPS. Born in 1660 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. She married William CHANDLER on 21 APR 1687 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. She die after 10 NOV 1728 at Westford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
- Edward PHELPS. Born in 1663 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He married Ruth ANDREW on 19 March (1682-S?)(1683) at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. He died on 30 NOV 1748, probably at Andover.
- Rebecca PHELPS. It seems pretty certain that this is the child of another family.
[NOTE: check death records to see if there were two Eleanors and two Edwards].
- [S1]. http://www.cox-internet.com/phillipsben/dat37.html.
- [S2]. http://www.sharrow.com/genealogy/robt.adams.1600.hourglass.pdf.
- [S3]. http://users.rcn.com/lmerrell/d0003/g0000213.htm
- [S4]. Pane-Joyce Genealogy. http://babbage.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr01/rr01_338.html
- [S5]. http://www.rootsweb.com/~jadmire/pete/d0000/g0000033.html
- [S6]. http://www.imt.net/~toss/Adams.html and http://www.imt.net/~toss/Phelps.html.
- [S7]. http://home.earthlink.net/~haburt/main/chart2314.htm
- [S8]. http://www.howellresearch.com/d0082/g0000064.html#I64519.
- [S9]. HISTORICAL SKETCHES OF ANDOVER. Chapter I. http://www.usigs.org/library/books/ma/Andover1880/and01Settlers.txt.
- [S10]. U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Ancestry.com.
- [S11]. Colonial Families of the USA, 1607-1775, Volume III. Ancestry.com.
- [S12]. North America, Family Histories, 1500-2000. Ancestry.com.
- [S13]. Andover. Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988. Ancestry.com.
ANCESTORS OF Elizabeth Adams:
ADAM (0-930AM) md EVE
ABRAHAM (1948-2123AM) (Abram).
ISAAC (2049AM-2229AM) = Rebecca
JUDAH. He married TAMAR
ZERAH (Zeus). He married ELECTRA
DARDANUS (Darda). He married BATES [Dardanus is a descendant of Mahol and Zerah]
ERICHTHONIUS . He married Astyoche Ilium
TROAS, King of Dardania. He married and Callirhoe Illium
ASSARACUS, King of Dardania
CAPYS, Prince of Troy, and THEMISTE
ANCHESES, Prince of Troy, and FETJUIR
AENEAS, King of Latium, and CREUSA
IULUS ASCANIUS ap Aeneas, King of Alba Longa
SYLVIUS ap Iulus Ascanius (Silvius)
BRUTUS ap Sylvius. [Geoffrey of Monmouth, in Historia Regum Britanniae, says explicitly, Brutus is the grandson, rather than son, of Ascanius].
CAMBER ap Brutus
GORBONIAN ap Camber
DYFNWAL HEN ap Gorbonian
CYNGEN ap Dyfnwal
ASSER ap Cyngen
BLEIDDUD ap Asser
HENWYN ap Bleiddud = RHAGAW verch Llyr (King Lear)
CUNEDDA ap Henwyn
RHIWALLON ap Cunedda
GWRWST ap Rhiwallon
SEISYLL ap Gwrwst
ANTONIUS ap Seisyll (about 1300BC)
AEDD MAWR (living about 300BC)
PRYDAIN (Brydain) ap Aedd (c300BC-?)
DYFNARTH ap Prydain
CRYDON ap Dyfnarth
CERWYD ap Crydon
ENEID ap Cerwyd
MANOGAN ap Eneid
Affleth ap Beli Mawr
Afallach ap Affleth
Enddolen ap Afallach
Endos ap Enddolen
Enied ap Endos
Endeyrn ap Enied
Endicant ap Endeyrn
Deheuwaint ap Endicant
Rydeyrn ap Deheuwaint
Gwrtheyrn ap Rydeyrn
Cyndeyrn ap Gwrtheyrn
Rhuddfedel Frych ap Cyndeyrn
Brydw ap Rhuddfedel Frych
Pasgen ap Brydw
Cadell Ddyrnllwg ap Pasgen
Pasgen ap Cadell Ddyrnllwg
Mawn ap Pasgen
Cyngen ap Mawn
Brochwel Ysgithrog ap Cyngen
Cynan ap Brochwel Ysgithrog
Cadell ap Cynan
Gwnfyw Frych ap Cadell
Gywnnan ap Gwnfyw Frych
Gwriawn ap Gywnnan
Byordderch ap Gwriawn
Brwyn (Bywyn) ap Byordderch
Gwaeddgar ap Brwyn
Grwgant ap Gwaeddgar
Cadfarch ap Gwrgant
Ynyr ap Cadfarch
Dyngad ap Tudor Trevor (c930-?) and Sissely verch Seferys
Rhiwallon ap Dyngad. (c965-1040)
Caragdog ap Rhiwallon. (c1000-?)
Breichiol ap Caradog (c1030-?)
Pyll ap Breichiol (c1060-?).
Meurig ap Pyll (c1095-?).
Caradog of Penrhos. (c1125-?).
Iorwerth ap Caradog (c1150-?) and Alis ferch Bleddyn.
Adam Gwent (Adam ap Iorwerth) (c1190-)
John ap Adam (Adam Fynchan) (c1220-?)
(Sir) John ap Adam (c1255-1311) and Elizabeth de Gournay
Thomas ap Adam (c1307-c1343) and Joan Inge
John ap Adam (c1330-c1376) married Millicent Bessylls
(Sir) John ap Adams (c1360-?), md Clara Powell
Roger Adams (1392-?) and Jane Ellyott
Thomas Adams (1422-1452) and Marie Upton
John Adams (1452-1483) and Jane Rannelegh
John Adams (1482-1577) and Catherine Stebbing
John Adams and Margery Squire
Richard Adams and Margaret Armager
Robert Adams and Elizabeth Sharlon
Robert Adams and Eleanor Wilmot
Elizabeth Adams and Edward Phelps
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
- Elizabeth Adams and Edward Phelps
- Samuel Phelps and Sarah Chandler
- John Phelps and Sarah Andrews
- John Phelps and Deborah Lovejoy
- Samuel Phelps and Margaret Nevins
- Ebenezer Ferrin and Lydia Phelps
- Samuel Ferrin and Sally Clotilda Powell
- Lydia Powell Ferrin and George William Washington Williams
- George William Williams and Harriett Thurston
- Minnie Williams and Clive Vernon Tenney
- Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
- Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris