HOME ~ Contact us
Ralph Shirley and Joan Basset
(Sir) Ralph Shirley. [Familytree].
Born (in 1370-S3)(about 1392-S1,S2)(on 23 April 1392-S4); (of Leicestershire-S?)(in Eatington, Warwick-S3)(at Ashbourne, Derbyshire-S4), England; son of (Sir) Hugh Shirley and Beatrix de Braose. (S1,S2,S3).
He married Joan Basset. (S1,S2,S3).
Sir Ralph Shirley fought in the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, a commander under King Henry V. (S4).
Ralph Shirley, in 5 Henry V. was retained to serve that King in person in his army in Guyen, with six men at arms, and eighteen archers ; and the next year, with eight men at arms, and sixteen archers, and was about that time knighted ; for in 8 Henry V. being then Sheriff of the counties of Nottingham and Derby, he was then styled a Knight. He was one of the chief Commanders under King Henry V. at the battle of Agincourt, as appears by an ancient Roll in the office of Arms ; and was often a great actor in the subsequent Wars of the said King Henry V. in France ; as is evidently proved by diverse instruments of accord made between the said King and Sir Ralph Shirley ; in one of which, dated 1416, after agreement had for the number and pay of his soldiers, &c. the King granted to him all the prisoners that he or his soldiers should take, only reserving to himself, the French King, his adversary; the Dauphin, his son ; and all other Kings, his adversary's assistants, giving to him only the third part of the ransom of the captive Kings, by him or his soldiers taken. To this Sir Ralph, the feoffees of Ralph Lord Basset, released all their right to the estates he claimed as heir to that Barony. In 1432, he resided at Radcliffe upon Soar ; and died at his government and charge in France, about 1443. His body was brought to England, and buried in the Collegiate Church of the Newark, at Leicester. His second wife was Alice, daughter of Sir John Cokayne, Knt. who died 1466, without issue. (S4).
He is said to have married (2) Alice Cokayne, daughter of Sir John Cokayne and Margaret, before 14 May 1419. (S4).
He died about 1443 om France while in the King's service; and was buried at the Lady Chapel of the Collegiate Church of Newark, Leicestershire. (S4).
He died in 1466 in Middlesex, England. (S?).
Joan Basset. (Johanna)(Jocosa) [Familytree].
Born (in 1390-S3)(about 1392-S2)(in 1394-S4) in Brailsford, Derbyshire, England; daughter of Thomas Basset and Margaret Meringe. (S4).
She died (in 1418-S4)(before 14 May 1419-S4) in (Ettington, Warwickshire-S?)(Ratcliffe-on-Soar, Nottinghamshire-S4), England.
CHILDREN of Ralph Shirley and Joan Basset:
- Beatrice Shirley. [Familytree]. Born in 1414 at Shirley, Derbyshire, England. She married (Sir) John Brome, son of John Brome and Joan Rody, circa 1439. She died on 10 July 1483 at Baddesley Clinton, Warwickshire, England.
- Ralph Shirley. Constable of Melbourne Castle, and of the castle in the Peak of Derbyshire. Born in 1413 at Shirley, Derbyshire, England. He married (1) Margaret de Staunton. He married (2) Elizabeth Blount. He married (3) Lucia Aston. He died on 26 December 1466 at Eatington, Warwickshire, England. (S4).
- [S1]. Netherlands, GenealogieOnline Trees Index, 1000-Current. https://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/stamboom-dullemen/I159303.php
- [S2]. Netherlands, GenealogieOnline Trees Index, 1000-Current. https://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/stamboom-baris/I19880.php
- [S3]. Millennium File. Ancestry.com
- [S4]. Joan Shirley (Bassett). Geni. https://www.geni.com/people/Joan-Shirley/6000000005018074972.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Ralph Shirley and Joan Basset
Beatrice Shirley and John Brome (c1420-1468)
Isabell Brome (1445-1470) and Robert John Denton
Alice Denton and Nicholas Purefoy
Edward Purefoy and Alice Fettiplace
Mary Purefoy and Thomas Thorne
Susanna Thorne and (Cpt) Roger Dudley
Thomas Dudley and Dorothy Yorke
Samuel Dudley and Elizabeth Smith
Dorothy Dudley and Moses Leavitt
Joseph Leavitt and Mary Wadleigh
Nathaniel Leavitt and Lydia Sanborn
Jeremiah Leavitt and Sarah Shannon
Jeremiah Leavitt and Sarah Sturdevant
Sarah Priscilla Leavitt and Jacob Vernon Hamblin
Ella Ann Hamblin and Warren Moroni Tenney
Clive Vernon Tenney and Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris