HOME ~ Contact us
Ephraim TINKHAM and Mary BROWNE
Ephraim TINKHAM. [Familytree].
The son of John TINKECOMBE and Martha BEARE. Tradition says that he was born about 1616 at Ashburnham or Ashburton, Devonshire, England. However, since he was christened 23 February 1617-8 at Barnstaple, Devon, England, and his older siblings were christened there earlier, he was undoubtedly born there also. [Check to see how near Asburnham and/or Ashburton are to Barnstaple].
Ephraim's father died in 1629 and he was left in the care of his step-mother. It was probably not long before his services were sold.
He was apparently brought to New England as a servant, as his services were transfered in July 1634 from Timothy Hatherly to John Winslow. Timothy Hatherly arrived in New England in the summer of 1630 on the ship Friendship, but did not stay.
He again came to New England in June 1632 on the ship Charles.
He came to New England again in 1633 on the ship William, and this time he stayed. Then in 1634, as mentioned above, the services of Ephraim were transfered to John Winslow.
Ephraim married Mary BROWN (about 1646-1648)(on 27 OCT 1647).
He made his will on 17 January 1683-1684, at which time he owned land in Plymouth, Middleboro, and Dartmouth. He died Between 17 JAN 1683 and 20 MAY 1685. His will was proved 5 JUN 1685 at Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachsetts, so it was probably closer to the latter date.
Mary BROWNE. (BROWN). [Familytree].
Born before 1 June 1627; daughter of Peter Browne and Martha, widow Ford.
She married Ephraim Tinkham in 1647 or 1648.
She died after 17 January 1683.
CHILDREN of Ephraim TINKHAM and Mary BROWN:
- Ephraim TINKHAM. Born 5 AUG 1649 at Plymouth, Massachusetts. He married after 9 JUN 1676 Esther WRIGHT. He died 13 OCT 1714 at Middleboro, Massachusetts.
- Ebenezer TINKHAM. Born 30 SEP 1651 at Plymouth, Massachusetts. He married before 7 JUL 1676 to Elizabeth BURROUGHS. He died 8 APR 1718 at Middleboro, Massachusetts.
- Peter TINKHAM. Born 25 DEC 1653 at Plymouth, Massachusetts. He married Mercy MENDALL (MENDHALL-S3). He died 30 DEC 1709 at Middleboro, Massachusetts.
- Helkiah TINKHAM. Born 8 FEB 1655-6 at Plymouth, Massachusetts. He married Ruth COOKE. He died before 25 SEP 1731.
- John TINKHAM. Born 7 JUN 1658 at Plymouth, Massachusetts. He died young.
- Mary TINKHAM. [Familytree]. Born 5 August 1661 at Plymouth, Massachusetts. She married John TOMSON. She died in 1631 at Middleboro, Massachusetts.
- John TINKHAM. Born 15 NOV 1663 at Plymouth, Massachusetts. He married Sarah. He died before 15 JAN 1739.
- Isaac TINKHAM. Born 11 APR 1666 at Plymouth, Massachusetts. He married 17 NOV 1692 at Plymouth, Massachusetts to Sarah KING. He died before 12 APR 1732.
- Glenn Russell Handy Family Records.
- The Mayflower Quarterly. a) Vol.60:3. AUG 1994.
- Families of the Pilgrims. Compiled by Hubert Kinney Shaw. 1958. Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants:Boston, MA.
- Mayflower Descendants and Their Marriages For Two Generations After the Landing. 1922. Bureau of Military and Civic Achievement:Washington D.C.
- State of Maine. (find the exact reference). page 1678-1679.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Ephraim Tinkham and Mary Browne
Mary Tinkham and John Tomson
Shubael Tomson and Susanna Parlour
Lydia Wood and John Thomson
Priscilla Thompson and Lemuel Sturtevant
Sarah Sturtevant and Jeremiah Leavitt
Sarah Pricscilla Leavitt and Jacob Vernon Hamblin
Ella Ann Hamblin and Warren Moroni Tenney
Clive Vernon Tenney and Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris