HOME ~ Contact us
Samuel Watts and Elizabeth Ayer
Samuel WATTS. (alias Mercer. (S6). This is unexplained).
Born (about 1650-S2)(in 1652-s3)(about 1655-S1) at (Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts-S1)(probably in Wiltshire, England-S3).
The first mention of Samuel Watts alias Mercer, or Samuel Watts as he is generally named, is in the will of John Evered alias Webb, then of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. He made his will on February 10, 1665. "Samuel Mercer als Watts" was named in the will. At this time, Samuel was between twelve and fifteen years old. He may have been a relative of Evered or an apprentice; his parents names did not appear. (S3).
In 1672, Samuel was living in Andover, where he had court-related incidents with both Mark Graves and Abraham Graves. Two years later, in 1674, Samuel Watts sued Samuel Gile for not delivering 8500 feet of pine board. He also was a party to other legal incidents in September 1675, May 1676, and September 1677. (S3).
The town records of Haverhill first mention of Samuel Watts alias Mercer was on Mar 2, 1693-4 when he was elected selectman in town. He later became a Quartermaster, and Cornet, and at the time of his death was Lieutenant of the military company of Haverhill. (S3).
He married (1) Elizabeth AYER on 28 October 1684 in Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S6). They lived in Haverhill.
He married twice, and his second wife was also named Elizabeth Ayer, widow Clement. They were married on 8 March 1696-1697 in Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S1,S2,S6).
He died on 1 July 1721 at Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. He left no will. Administration was granted to his son, John Watts, alias Messer on 23 October 1721. (S3).
Elizabeth AYER. [Familytree].
Born 23 December 1659 at Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts; daughter of Thomas AYER and Elizabeth HUTCHINS. (S1,S4). She is also said to be the daughter of Robert AYER and Elizabeth PALMER, and widow of John CLEMENT of Haverhill. (source?).
She married Samuel WATTS on 28 October 1684 at Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S1,S4).
She died 26 October 1695 at Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S1,S4).
CHILDREN of Samuei WATTS and Elizabeth AYER (1):
- Elizabeth WATTS. [Familytree]. Born 31 August 1689 at Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. She married Jonathan DUSTIN on 18 MAY 1714. She died after 1724.
- John Watts. Born 2 April 1685. He married Sarah Duston on 10 March 1708-1709. He died after 1746. (S3).
- Mary Watts. Born on 27 June 1687 (S7). She married Samuel Ingalls before 1709. She died after 1721. (S3).
- Samuel Watts. Born on 18 August 1691. He married (1) Abigail Duston before 1716. He married (2) Dorothy before 23 May 1728. He died probably in New Hampshire. (S3).
Born on 10 November 1652 at Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts; daughter of Robert Ayer and Elizabeth Palmer. (S3,S5). Widow of John Clement. (S6).
She married (1) John Clement on 22 February 1676 in Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S3,S5). They had children: Samuel Clement, Job Clement, Mary (Clement) Bartlett, Elizabeth (Clement) Bradley, Elizabeth Clement, Jacob Clement, John Clement, Nathaniel Clement, Hannah Clement, Abiah Clement. John died in 1692. (S5).
She married (2) Samuel Watts on 8 March 1697 in Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S3,S5).
CHILDREN of Samuei WATTS and Elizabeth AYER (2):
- Hannah Watts. Born on 27 April 1698. She married Eldad Ingalls. She died on 20 June 1738. (S3,S5).
- [S1]. Ayer Genealogy. Extracted from The Essex Antiquarian. Vol.9:10. OCT 1900.
- [S2]. Watts alias Mercer. Genealogy Specialists. https://genealogy-specialists.com/threads/watts-alias-mercer.7305/.
- [S3]. Samuel Watts (1652 - 1721). WikiTree. https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Watts-41.
- [S4]. Elizabeth (Ayers) Watts (1659 - 1695). WikiTree. https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Ayers-1195.
- [S5]. Elizabeth (Ayer) Watts (1652 - abt. 1699). WikiTree. https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Ayer-1.
- [S6]. New England Marriages Prior to 1700. from Ancestry.com
- [S7]. North America, Family Histories, 1500-2000. The genealogy and history of the Ingalls family in America : giving the descendants of Edmund Ingal. from Ancestry.com.
HOW ARE WE RELATED
Elizabeth Ayer and Samuel Watts
Elizabeth Watts and Jonathan Dustin
Mehitable Dustin and Jonathan Marsh
Miriam Marsh and Thomas Haynes
William Haynes and Polly Stoddard
Daphne Haynes and Isaiah Hamblin
Jacob Vernon Hamblin and Sarah Priscilla Leavitt
Ella Ann Hamblin and Warren Moroni Tenney.
Clive Vernon Tenney and Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris