HOME ~ Contact us

(Elder) James Webb and (1) Betsy Faville; (2) Hannah Griswold

James Henry WEBB. [Familytree]. [Webb Family Study].
Born on 21 March 1777 at (East Hampton, Chatham, Middlesex County-S17,S19)(Hartford, Hartford County)(Chester, Middlesex County, Connecticut-S19), Connecticut; son of James WEBB, Sr. and Elizabeth DOUGLAS. He married (1) Betsy FAVILLE in 1802 or early 1803. They lived at first in Brookfield, Chenango County, New York. It is probably there that they were married.

The area of Brookfield was first settled around 1791. The Town of Brookfield was established in 1795, but part was removed in 1805 to form the Town of Columbus. At that time is was part of Chenango County, New York. It later became part of Madison County. The north town line is the border of Oneida County, New York, and the south town line is the border of Chenango County, New York. The east town line is the border of Otsego County, New York. (S26).

Their first child was born at Brookfield, Madison County, New York.

He owned land in Otsego County, New York.
There is a deed dated 7 June 1804 from James Webb of Brookfield, Chenango County, to John Welch, for $64.75, of land in the town of Otsego in the John McNeil Patent. This is from a Memorandum from the Copperstown Clerk's Office, Otsego County, Vol. K, p. 273. (S25).

By about 1805 they were in Manheim, Montgomery County, New York, where son William Waterman Webb was born.

Manheim Township, Montgomery County, New York is now Dolgeville, Herkimer County, New York.

His wife Betsy died in 1808 in New York, probably in childbirth, on or about 17 MAY, when son John Webb was born; in Manheim, Montgomery County, New York.

There was a second deed, 2 December 1808, from James Webb of Manheim, Montgomery County, to Simeon Metcalf, for $192.50, of a lot adjoining the first land sold in 1804. From Memorandum from the Copperstown Clerk's Office, Otsego County, Vol. K, p. 273. (S25).

He married (2) Hannah GRISWOLD probably later in 1808 or early 1809, undoubtedly in Manheim Township, Herkimer County, New York.

Our family traditions say that Hannah, being a near neighbor to the Webb family, was brought into the household shortly after the death of James' first wife, Betsy, to care for the young children. She and James apparently married not long afterwards.

They soon moved to Hanover, Chautauqua County, New York where he owned land by 1810, where he owned part of Lot 10. (S23). This was part of the Holland Purchase. (S7).

According to the book, Original Purchase of the Town of Hanover, Chautauqua County, by Andrew W. Young, p. 407.:
In the southeast part, Uriah Nash bought a part of lot 19, in 1810: and James Webb, a little earlier the same year, lot 18. Mr. Webb, in 1815, bought also a part of lot 19. Thus, James was among the earliest settlers in Hanover, New York. (S25).

Hannah Griswold Webb said:
"The country around us was an entire wilderness with here and there a small cabin containing a small family. We were nearly all new beginners and although we had to work almost day and night, we were not discouraged. There were many and serious trials in the beginning of this country for those who settled amid the heavy timber, having nothing to depend upon for a living but their own industry. Such was our situation. However, we were blessed with health and strength and we were able to accomplish all that was necessary to be done. Our husbands cleared the land and assisted each other in rolling logs. We wives, often went with them on these occasions to assist in the way of cooking for the hands." (S25).

"We had first rate times, too, just such as hard-laboring men and women can appreciate. We were not what would now be called fashionable cooks, we had no pound cakes, preserves or jellies, only the substancials prepared in plain old-fashioned style - this is one reason we were blessed with health. We had none of your dainties and nick-nacks and fixings that are worse than nothing. It was not fashionable, then to be weakly. We could take our spinning wheels and walk two miles, do a days work and after a first rate supper, join in some innocent amusement for the evening. And we did not complain half as much as people do now. Our diet was plain." (S25).

Our clothing was manufactured ourselves; we lived independently and were all on an equality. I look back on the by-gone days with great interest. But now the scene has changed! We could now days hardly endure the thought of exchanging our splended carriages for the rude ones of those days which served our grandfathers." (S25).

By the year 1817, the place could boast of a newspaper, 'The Chautauqua Gazette'. Eleven of James children wre born here while he was pioneering Hanover; also, three of his grandchildren, Eliza Webb Tenney's children. Note that all of their children were born in Hanover except their last child. (S25).

Not long after the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized they were converted and were baptized, probably the same time as their oldest son, which was in November 1834.

Hanover, in Western New York was near Kirtland, Ohio, the gathering place for the converts of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Soon after its' organization missionaries were sent out through the country to explain this newly revealed gospel to the people. Many honest-in-heart accepted its' truths, among whom was the James Webb, Jr. family. (S25).

At this time they sold property in Hanover: The southerly 100 acres at the intersection of Quarry Road and Hopper Road had been conveyed to Nathaniel Hopper in 1835 from James Webb and his wife Hannah Webb. (Liber 17 Page 27). (S24).

Some months after they had joined the church, his grandson, William TENNEY, son of Eliza, who was then about two years old, became sick and was near death. James WEBB was the only ordained Elder in town who could administer to him, but he had been away from home for several days. As William's condition worsened, his family watched with intense anxiety and tearful faces. He had not spoken or taken notice of anyone for two days, and had every symptom of the near approach of death. His sister Betsy Jane had strong faith that through the laying on of hands he could be healed and begged permission to go for her grandfather. At last they relented, even knowing that he was away from home, and she started off taking a shortcut path through the meadow. In the meantime, James had arrived home and did not sit down, but started immediately for Eliza's house. When Betsy Jane got to her Grandma's house and was told that she missed him on the way, she hastened back as fast as possible. To her surprise and joy, when she entered her brother's sickroom, she found that her brother who an hour before lay lifeless, was sitting in his chair whittling with his Pa's knife, which he asked for as soon as his grandfather had taken his hands off his head. By the power of faith he was made whole immediately. The family, "felt to thank and praise our Heavenly Father that we were permitted to hear the gospel in this the last dispensation, and know of a surety that we were being make partakers of it's promises and blessings."

James and his family moved in late 1834 or early 1835 to Kirtland, Ohio, where their youngest son was born. They lived there about four years. During this time the Kirtland Temple was being built. It was dedicated 27 March 1836. James Webb and his family were reported by his descendants to have been in attendance.

When members of the Church migrated from Kirtland to Missouri and Illinois, the Webb family were among the first 200 families to settle in Adam-Ondi-Ahman, Missouri, near Far West. This was about 1838.

The inhabitants were attacked by a mob who murdered, insulted women, burned their homes and drove them from the city in the midst of winter into a cold, bleak wilderness. When mob violence became too extreme, those living at Adam-ondi-Ahman and other small communities were forced to evacuate to Far West. (S22,S25).

From there they were driven into Illinois. (S22,S25).

They camped in wagons, tents and whatever makeshift shelters they could find and were in a distitute, unhealthy circumstances. The Webb family went first to Quincy, Illinois.

Their stay in Quincy was apparently quite short, and they soon moved on to Payson, Illinois along with the James Clark Owens family. While the family were living in Payson their son, Lorenzo Dow Webb, died in December 1839 . He was a fine twenty-two year old young man whom all the family dearly loved. His brother Edward Millo Webb wrote (S25):
"Tis hard to part with thee, though our parting be short, Thy friends are disconsolate, thy company was sweet, but since it is so, though lonely our lot, We'll wait with all patience, 'til with thee, we meet."

Our next record of James Jr. is in Book A, page 178 of the Nauvoo Baptisms, which states that James as baptised for his father, James Webb, in 1841.

Sometime about this time they settled in LaHarpe, Illinois, about 25 miles from Nauvoo. They lived the last years of their life in LaHarpe, Hancock County, Illinois, which is twenty miles from Nauvoo.

In 1842 it is said that the family moved to Nauvoo, Illinois. This may be true, but in any case, they at least maintained property in LaHarpe, Illinois, for they were back there later. If James and Hannah did not move into Nauvoo, at least their sons did. Edwin Milo belonged to the Nauvoo Legion and Pardon and Chauncy were Lieutenants in the Illinois State Militia. (S25).

In Nauvoo, the Webb family owned and operated the wagon and blacksmith shop. Five of the Webb brothers, Chauncey Edwin, Edward, Pardon and James Wesley learned the trade from their father. The shop was located on the corner of Parley and Granger Streets and it was sixty or more feet in length built of stone. It adjoined Pardon Webb's house on the east. There were two forges, both cinder and charcoal burning, equipped with bellows, where nails, wheels and horseshoes were forged. There was an adjoining wagon shop where wagon boxes were built. The shop was large and there was plenty of business to keep them all employed. (S25).

One man recorded his memory of the shop. "There was a wagon shop across the street a little to the west of our house, run by some men by the name of Webb. I used to go there to see the wagons and watch them paint. One of the men's name was 'Pardon' and I used to think, "What a funny name!" (S25).

In the autumn of 1845, when the members of the church determined that they would be leaving Nauvoo the next spring for the West, the blacksmith and wagon shop became a hive of activity. Five of the wagons used by Brigham Young for his westward journey were built in the shop. Throughout the spring, summer and early autumn of 1846 the shop continued to produce wagons to assist the departing Mormons. The Webb brothers remained in Nauvoo and were among the last of the saints to leave the city for the Rocky Mountains, departing September 1846. (S25).

Edwin Milo Webb wrote, "....4 Feb. 1846, first wave of emigrants left Nauvoo. Mississippi chocked with ice flows, bitter wind blew at corner of Parley and Granger Streets. Webb's Wagon and Blacksmith Shop was noisybeehive; toiled far into the night hammering, red-hot iron into wheels." (S25).

All of the Webb brothers except Edwin, who died enroute, continued their blacksmithing and wagon-making activities in Utah. The shop was used for many years after the Mormons left Nauvoo before being razed. The site was located by arhaeological excavations crews in 1967 and rebuilt on the orginal foundation. Today it is visited by many of those who visit Historic Nauvoo. (S25).

James died of fever on 17 March (1844-S3,S14)(1845-S17). At the time of his death, James was in La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois. His obiturary in The Nauvoo Neighbor confirms his birth in 1777, and lists him as James Henry Webb Jr., age 69 years, 11 months, and 26 days old at the time of his death. He was buried in the Old Nauvoo Burial Ground in Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois. A simple footstone marks his resting place, found there beside the grave of his wife Hannah with the initials J.W. carved on it.

Chauncey Griswold Webb said, My father James Webb, took great pride in his family and he loved to tell that no Webb was a shirker, they did much more that their part rather than less. Cauncey also said his father named all of his family for friends or relatives.

WIFE (1):
Betsy FAVILLE. (FAVILL). [Familytree].
Born in 1780 (S27) at Brookfield, Chenango County, New York; the daughter of John FAVILLE and Nancy LEWIS.

It is sometimes said that she was born at Bloomfield. I am not sure what is the source for this. There is a Bloomfield possibility in Herkimer County. Deacon Jonathon Bloomfield emigrated from New Jersey in 1790, and settled near the village of Jordanville, in the town of Warren, Herkimer County. Here he purchased a farm of 120 acres, and soon after his arrival, built a saw-mill on Ocquionis Creek, known as the Bloomfield Mill. This is about ten years after the birth of Betsy, but the name could have been applied retrospectively. There is also a Bloomfield Cemetery in Herkimer County, which lies about nine miles south of Herkimer, towards Canadarago Lake; where Samuel Bloomfield, the son of Jonathan is buried. (S16).

However, Brookfield, Chenango County, New York seems to be correct.

Her father John spelled the family name Favill. Later branches of the family added “e” to the name to make it Faville. It is not know which form Betsy used, but since the family afterwards spelled it with the "e", it is used here.

She moved with her family when she was just a baby to Salisbury, Montgomery County, New York.
Salisbury contains parts of the Jerseyfield Patent of 1770. The town was formed in 1797 from the Town of Palatine while in Montgomery County. Salisbury was annexed to Herkimer County in 1817.

Within the next ten years they moved to the area of Manheim Township, which was eventually incorporated into Herkimer County, New York.

She married James WEBB in 1802 or early 1803, probably in Brookfield, Chenango County, New York, since their first child was born there in November 1803. Betsy and James were also living in Brookfield in 1804 when they conveyed a deed.

By 1805 they were in Manheim, Montgomery County, New York, where William Waterman Webb was born.

Betsy Faville died on 27 June 1808, and was buried in the Faville Cemetery (also called the Peck or Sherwood Cemetery) in the Town of Manheim, which cemetery lies 2 Miles northwest on Route 83 from Dolgeville. She probably died from complications at the time of the birth of her son, John, which was on 17 MAY 1808. (S15).

Her headstone reads:
WEBB, Betsy Favill, D. 6-27-1808, 28yr., Hus. James. (S27).

There is some family tradition that says that Amanda Melvina Webb was the daughter of Betsy and not of Hannah; that Betsy died at the birth of Amanda in September 1809. However, since Betsy died in 1808, and Amanda was born in September 1809, Amanda is the daughter of James and Hannah. Hannah was called upon to care for the young children of James and Betsy, probably immediately in June 1808 when James had an infant son to care for. Since Hannah took care of the new infant and cared for the young family as her own, in is not surprising that the children have been confused between Betsy and Hannah.

  1. Eliza (L?) WEBB. [Familytree]. Born 17 November 1803 at Brookfield, Madison County (then Chenango County), New York. She married William TENNEY in 1819 in Hanover, Chautauqua County, New York. She died 12 (17) April 1883 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah.
  2. William Wateman (Waterman-S?) WEBB. Born about 1805 at Manheim, Montgomery County, New York (or at Hanover, Chautauqua, New York-S?).
  3. John WEBB. Born (2-S?)(17) MAY 1808 at Manheim, Montgomery County, New York. He married (1) Mrs. Catherine WILCOX and had children Lydia and Helen. He married (2) Julia Ann ROBINSON. He died 5 MAY 1895 (12 JUN 1894-S?) at the home of his daughter Lydia A. Huntley in Coyote, Garfield County, Utah.

WIFE (2):
Hannah was born 6 June 1790 at Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, according to her obituary in the ”Nauvoo Neighbor.”
She is said to be the daughter of Elijah GRISWOLD. Unfortunately, the courthouse records that could have supported this burned in 1804, so this still remains in question. Nauvoo records show that her mother was Abigail. It is a puzzle why she named her mother in the Nauvoo records, but not her father.

She is also said by many to be the daughter of John Griswold and Hannah Peck (S21), but Nauvoo records definitely state that her mother is Abigail. Also, the daughter of John Griswold and Hannah Peck, who was named Hannah, was born on 2 December 1789 (FHL film #1378453) in Killingworth, Middlesex County, Connecticut; whereas Hannah clearly states herself that she was born in 1790 in Hartford, Connecticut.

Some have said that Hannah Peck is the same name as Abigail, but there is no evidence to support his.

It appears probable that Hannah was indeed born in Hartford as her obituary states, or at least in Hartford County, probably shortly before her family moved to New York. Such a move shortly after her birth would make it clear why her family records were not found in the Hartford area.

Her grandfather could be Daniel Griswold. However, there were two Griswold’s named Daniel from Connecticut who moved to Herkimer County, New York, where Hannah grew up. Either one of them could have been her grandfather. The problem is now to identify the sons of both Daniels to determine which one, if any, was the father of Hannah.

The first Daniel Griswold who is possibly her grandfather was born 10 August 1728 at Killingworth, Middlesex County, Connecticut; the son of Joseph GRISWOLD and Temperance LAY. He married Lydia HULL about 1750. Daniel was a Captain in the Infantry. He went to Havana, Cuba in the War of 1759. He moved with some of his family to Little Falls, Herkimer County, New York in 1792. He was later the owner of the mills where the Clinton Paper Manufacturing Company stood. He probably died at Little Falls, Herkimer County, New York. Daniel’s birth in 1728 makes him too old to have been Hannah’s father, therefore when he removed to Herkimer County in 1792, the “some of his family” that he took with him must have included at least one of his sons families, one of which could have been Hannah.

The second Daniel who is possibly her grandfather, was Daniel B. GRISWOLD who married Mary Bushnell. He was born 9 March 1722 at Killingworth, Middlesex County, Connecticut. He moved his family to Fairfield, Herkimer County about 1790 and lived there for a time. Two of his sons Edward Griswold and John Griswold moved to Herkimer County first, apparently some time before 1785 and 1790. Daniel and Mary followed them later. He died in 1814, probably in Fairfield.

Hannah married James WEBB probably in later in 1808 or early 1809, undoubtedly in Manheim Township, Montgomery County, New York (now Dolgeville, Herkimer County, New York). She had apparently been brought into the household shortly after the death of James' first wife, Betsy, to care for the young children. She and James apparently married not long afterwards.

Not long after they were married James and Hannah moved to Hanover, Chautauqua County, New York, where James owned land by 1810.

As Hannah began married life she had three step children from James’ first marriage to care for. She passed through the hardships of settling a new territory. She also reared a large family of her own.

Not long after the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized they were converted and were baptized, probably the same time as their oldest son, which was in November 1834. They moved in 1834 to Kirtland, Ohio, where their youngest son was born. They lived there about four years. During this time the Kirtland Temple was being built. It was dedicated 27 March 1836. James Webb and his family were reported by his descendants to have been in attendance.

The Webb family passed through great persecutions with the Saints in Kirtland and Missouri. They were at Adam-ondi-Ahman, and then at Far West. After the saints were expelled by the mobs, they moved to Illinois. The next record we have of them is in Payson, Illinois, where their son Lorenzo Dow WEBB died. They lived the last years of their life in LaHarpe, Hancock County, Illinois, which is about twenty five miles from Nauvoo.

In 1841, after baptism for the dead was revealed, Hannah was baptized for her mother, Abigail and also for her brother, Daniel. [Nauvoo Baptisms, Book A, page 64]. However, she apparently did not have the baptism done for her father at that time, so his name remains unknown. Her father must have died at an early age in her life so that she did not know him.

Hannah died 16 October 1845, age 55 years 4 months and 10 days, at LaHarpe, Hancock County, Illinois. She was buried in the Old Nauvoo Burial Ground in Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois. Next to her grave is a foot stone with the initials J.W. carved on it, indicating that she was buried next to her husband James Webb.




James Henry Webb  married (1) Betsy Faville,  married (2) Hannah Griswold
                           |                           |       
                    Eliza L. Webb and William Tenney    Amanda Melvina Webb and Burton Harmon Phelps
               Warren Reed Tenney  -    married    -    Julia Amanda Phelps
                Warren Moroni Tenney married Ella Ann Hamblin
                 Clive Vernon Tenney and Minnie Williams
                 Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
                 Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris