HOME ~ Contact us
John Webb and Ruth Graves
John WEBB. [Familytree].
Born (about 1667-S1,S3)(in 1667-S2)(8 June 1667-S12) in Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut; the son of John WEBB and Hannah.
NOTE: The John Webb who was born in 1667 is possibly a different John Webb; probably the son of John Webb and Susanna Cunliffe. Our ancestor John Webb was son of the John Webb who settled in Haddam, and shortly afterward moved to Saybrook. Our John Webb was born in Saybrook. The question is: When was the John Webb from Saybrook born? And when was the John Webb from Northampton born?
John Webb married Ruth GRAVES on 25 January 1699-1700 Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. (S6,S10).
These may certifie that John Webb was lawfully joined in marriage to Ruth Graves Janry ye 25th 1699 or 1700 as witness my hand ye 15th January 1702-3, Tho: Buckingham Senr. (S10,S14).
The births of their children were recorded in Saybrook Vital Records, 1647-1834, p. 28. (S10,S14).
He died 28 January 1711 at Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. (S2, S10).
Ruth GRAVES. [Familytree].
Born (24-S13) 25 November 1674 at Concord, Middlesex County, Massachusetts; daughter of Benjamin GRAVES and Mary HOAR.
It is said by some that she is the daughter of George GRAVES Jr. and Elizabeth VENTRIS (S4,S14). She is not mentioned in the will (vol. 1, p. 455, Mainwaring's Early Probate Records) of George. (S15).
She married (1) John WEBB on 25 January 1699-1700 (1698-99-S13) at Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. (S10).
She married (2) William Merriam, son of William Merriam and Elizabeth Breed, on 7 November 1711. He was born 8 March 1668 in Lynn, Massachusetts, and died 26 February 1752 in Bristol, Hartford County, Connecticut. Ruth was Williamís fourth wife.
She died on 12 November 1755 in Middlesex county, Connecticut.
CHILDREN of John WEBB and Ruth GRAVES:
- John WEBB. Born 4 November 1700 in Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. He died on 19 December 1702 at Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. (S10,S14).
- Hannah WEBB. Born 1 March 1701-1702 in Saybrook, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. (S10,S14).
- Mary WEBB. Born 19 March 1703-1704 in Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. She married John Pratt Jr. of Connecticut on 8 March 1731-1732 in Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. (S10,S14,S16).
- Ruth WEBB. Born early December 1705 in Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. (S10,S14). She married Lemuel BUSHNELL of Connecticut. She died 16 APR 1791.
- Sarah WEBB. Born on 7 August 1707 in Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. (S10,S14).
- Gideon WEBB. Born in early July 1709 at Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. (S10,S14). He married (1) Edith BATES 27 July 1731. He married (2) Temperance HOUGH (HUFF-S16) 27 July 1755 in Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut. He died on 18 February 1799.
- John WEBB. Born latter end of June 1711.(S10,S14). He married Lydia. He will was dated in 1785.
CHILDREN of William Merriam and Ruth (Graves) Webb:
- Ruth Merriam, b. 2 Nov. 1713, m. Caleb Matthews, 9 May 1733, d. 3 Nov. 1785.
- Samuel Merriam, b.c. 1716 (Lynn, MA).
- Ebenezer Merriam, b. 1718 (CT).
- Joseph Merriam, b. 1724 (CT).
- [S1]. Genealogy of John Graves of England and America. by John Card Graves.
- [S2]. Descendants of John (HADDAM FOUNDER) Webb. http://www.haddam.com/tucker/john_webb.htm.
- [S3]. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fmarston/gp115.html.
- [S4]. http://www.gendex.com/users/rtwgen/mwheeler/d0056/g0000046.html.
- [S5]. George Grave, or Graves, and His Descendants, Genealogies of CT Families, Vol. II. By R. D. Smyth. Connecticut Genealogies #1. pg. 82
- [S6]. New England Marriages Prior to 1700. by Clarence Almon Torrey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1997. pg. 788.
- [S7]. Samuel Webb of Saybrook, Connecticut. By Harrison E. Webb. The American Genealogist, Vol. 22, 1945. pg. 44.
- [S8]. Broderbund Family Archive CD-Rom #397, Marriage Index: Connecticut, 1635-1860.
- [S9]. http://www.gravesfa.org/gen166.htm. [check these cited references: (R39, R84, R133, R200)].
- [S10]. Vital Records of Saybrook. Part2. The Connecticut Historical Society and The Connecticut Society of The Order of the Founders. http://www.mayflowerfamilies.com/vital_records/vital_records_of_saybrook_part2.htm.
- [S11]. Descendants of John (HADDAM FOUNDER) Webb.
- [S12]. http://ancestor.homestead.com/files/Susanna_Cunliffe.htm. Though this source is generally NOT about our ancestor, it does give what I believe is the correct birthdate of our ancestor in Saybrook.
- [S13]. http://www.bedardphoto.com/tree/jgedcom/dat20.html.
- [S14]. Ancestors of Jessie Elizabeth Sexton. Family Tree Maker Online. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/o/h/Pamela-J-Pohly/GENE3-0013.html and also http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/o/h/Pamela-J-Pohly/GENE3-0008.html.
- [S15]. The Graves Family Association, 20 Binney Circle, Wrentham, MA 02093, USA. http://www.gravesfa.org. See especially:
- DEACON GEORGE GRAVES, 1636 Settler of Hartford, Connecticut and His Descendants. http://www.gravesfa.org/gen065.htm.
- JOHN GRAVES, 1635 Settler of Concord, MA and His Descendants. http://www.gravesfa.org/gen166.htm.
- [S16]. Extracted from Saybrook, CT - Vital Records, Connecticut Series 1 - Towns Vol. 9, 7th Town, Vital Records of Saybrook, 1647-1834, Hartford, The Connecticut Historical Society & the Connecticut Society of the Order of Founders & Patriots of America, 1948. http://dnhamwilcox.net.
HOW ARE WE RELATED
John Webb and Ruth Graves
Gideon Webb and Edith Bates
James Webb and Elizabeth Douglas
James Henry Webb married (1) Betsy Faville, married (2) Hannah Griswold
Eliza L. Webb and William Tenney Amanda Melvina Webb and Burton Harmon Phelps
Warren Reed Tenney - married - Julia Amanda Phelps
Warren Moroni Tenney married Ella Ann Hamblin
Clive Vernon Tenney and Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris