HOME ~ Contact us
Dominick Wheeler and Mercy Jellye
Born on 3 June 1565 at Salisbury, Wiltshire, England; son of Francys Wheeler and Margerye Owens. (S1).
It is said he came to New Haven, CT from London in 1638, probably with the New Haven Company. He was among the first to receive an allotment of land at New Haven in 1643. (S1).
The date of his removal to Stratford is not known, but he was living there in 1648 when the privilege of the ferry across the Housatonic River was granted to him by the General Court. He was a ship carpenter by trade and in addition to building vessels he engaged in farming the lands of which he was an extensive owner, and he became one of the leading and influential men of Stratford. In 1670, the town leased to " Moses Wheeler, Ship carpenter, the ferry with thirty or forty acres of upland and six of meadow joining to the ferry, for 21 years. Without tax or rate, except sixpence per annum during said lease," and the inhabitants were to be ferried over for one half -penny per person,and two pence per horse or beast." (S1).
About ten years before his death he gave most of his property to his children, Moses Jr., Samuel, and Jacob Walker. He gave the tract near Derby that he had bought from the Indians about forty years before, and by his will, dated February. 19, 1689-90, his son Samuel received the homestead and all pertaining to it. This homestead, according to Samuel's will of Nov.30,1689, lay "at ye upper end of ye upper Island," probably in the Housatonic. (S1).
He died on 12 December 1615 at St. Edmunds, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. (S1).
Mercy Jellye. (Mercye)(Mercey) (Jelley)(Jelleyman).
Born on 14 January 1569 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England; daughter of William Jellye and Eyed Atkins. (S2).
She died after 12 December 1615 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England. (S2).
It has been claimed that there is a ship manifests that indicate she traveled with her son John Wheeler and his family to New England on the Mary and John in 1633 or 1634. However, the Mercy on that ship was probably her grandaughter. (S2).
CHILDREN of Dominick Wheeler and Mercy Jellye:
- John Wheeler, b. 1588, St.Edmund's, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England , d. 8 Dec 1588, St. Edmunds, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- Edward Wheeler, b. 1591, Of, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- John Wheeler, b. 4 Nov 1591, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, Uk , d. 29 Aug 1670, Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts
- Adam Wheeler, b. 1593, Of, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- Jane Wheeler, b. Jan 1593/1594, St.Edmund's, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England , d. 15 Feb 1593, Salisbury, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- Ann Wheeler, b. 1595, Of, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- Elizabeth Wheeler, b. 3 Aug 1595, Salisbury, Wilt., St. Edmunds, England
- David Wheeler, b. 1597, Of, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- William Wheeler, b. 1599, Of, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- Robert Wheeler, b. 12 Oct 1599, St. Edmund's, Salisbury, Wilts., England .
- Jane Wheeler. Born about 1600. She married Adam Blackman about 1620. She died about 1674. [NOTE: S1 and S2 do not definitely show that Jane was a member of this family].
- Mercy Wheeler, b. Abt 1601, Of, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- George Wheeler, b. Abt 1605, Of, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- Roger Wheeler, b. Abt 1607, Of, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- Henry Wheeler, b. Abt 1609, Of, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
- [S1]. Dominick Wheeler. Geni. https://www.geni.com/people/Dominick-Wheeler/5286231394630130957.
- [S2]. Mercy Wheeler. Geni. https://www.geni.com/people/Mercy-Wheeler/5477774860970072002.